Add "change panel text color" to MX Tweak?

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Add "change panel text color" to MX Tweak?

#1 Post by JayM »

I don't know where this post should go, but I needed to change the text color in my panel so I can use a dark panel with light text while still using Adwaita as my theme, and still being able to be able to see both the panel text (which is dark grey in Adwaita) for my clock and CPU freq monitor apps and those pale grey Notification Area icons at the same time. I did some research yesterday and found how to change the text color for panel apps by editing my .gtkrc-2.0 file and adding some settings suggested by Xfce's wiki. I shared that information in Tips&Tricks in my post here. This morning I had an idea: maybe this is something that could be added to the MX Tweak tool? That is, if you feel that changing the color of the panel text is something that would be useful to others besides just me. That would be a lot easier than manually editing a hidden file with hex color codes, especially for Linux newbies and those who've never created websites and aren't familiar with hex colors. It could have a standard color-picker just like the one in Panel Preferences when you change the panel's background to a solid color.

I haven't experimented with the other hex color code values in .gtkrc-2.0 to find out what they do but just from looking at them, there appears to just be one for active foreground text (whatever that is) and everything else is for the background which is already handled by the Panel Settings Appearance tab. It seems the only GUI panel settings control that we're missing is for the text color.
Last edited by JayM on Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

asqwerth
Developer

Re: Add "change panel text color" to MX Tweak?

#2 Post by asqwerth »

All you need to do is right click on panel, choose Panel Preferences >> Appearance tab, and then change Style setting from "(None) use system style" which means "use the gtk theme on panel" to "solid colour". Then choose the colour and transparency you want.
mx17-panelpref.png
[OOPS. scratch that. I see you are referring to text colour. ]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#3 Post by JayM »

That's just for the panel's background. It still inherits the GTK2 theme's text color. That's the problem: if you're using a light theme with dark text and want a dark panel to make the Notification Area app's icons stand out, the text will still be dark and unreadable against your dark panel background.

(Edit: OOPS, scratch that. I just noticed your "oops" after I'd already replied!)
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#4 Post by chrispop99 »

If it's achievable without too much work for the devs, I think adding this to 'Tweaks' would be an excellent idea.

Thanks for the suggestion, and the tip.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Return to “General”