Brave browser

Colin

Brave browser

#1 Post by Colin »

Would just like to ask if anyone has installed/used the Brave browser and what they think of it?
Thanks all

manyroads

Re: Brave browser

#2 Post by manyroads »

Colin wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:34 am Would just like to ask if anyone has installed/used the Brave browser and what they think of it?
Thanks all
Do you have a specific concern? Knowing that will help with the precision of responses.

Absent that, I can tell you I do not like the Brave browser. :rolleyes:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Colin

#3 Post by Colin »

Hello manyroads
I just thought i'd like to try out a new browser, either 'Brave' or 'Tor'.
But before i download and try them i thought of asking what forum members thought of them.
From what i have read the 'Brave' browser is supposed to be more secure that the 'Tor' browser?

manyroads

#4 Post by manyroads »

Security is an extremely subjective realm. I recommend you research that topic and see what you can and will be willing to live with by way of inconvenience before deciding. There are hundreds of article on the topic of secure browsing (including piles here in the forums). I personally find I can accomplish everything "I am willing to put up with" with FF. Plus I have the advantage of getting all the add-ons I want. You'll see similar discussions to that here on vivaldi (a blink derivative). Tor is a beast of an 'entirely different color'. Research its pros and cons carefully before deciding. To my mind Tor is "not" a free lunch.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Colin

#5 Post by Colin »

Thanks manyroads for taking the timeout to reply along with all the info it really was appreciated.

Moltke

#6 Post by Moltke »

Colin wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:39 am Hello manyroads
But before i download and try them i thought of asking what forum members thought of them.
From what i have read the 'Brave' browser is supposed to be more secure that the 'Tor' browser?
I tried Brave and just like manyroads didn't like it either. Tor, well I tried it some time ago I think it was via Tails as well as in other distro, anyway, it was kind of slow, and so they admit: "Tor web wasn't designed to be fast" also, if you think on using Tor you better "educate yourself in your internet habits" or so they say in their webpage, Tor can't protect you from whichever internet habits you may have and neither can any other browser for that matter. I often think security over the internet has more to do with how you use it; which sites you visit, how often you clear your browser history and so on. Yes, the small details can make a huge difference. I'd say that you keep on using whichever browser you're using now and revise your internet habits so you can cover any security hole you might be leaving behind. I remember I once read an article titled "security on the internet" or something like that whose author wisely stated "if people are concerned about their security on the internet, then they should reasonably consider not to use it at all" I kept those words for myself ever after since.
Without each other's help there ain't no hope for us :happy:

philotux

#7 Post by philotux »

Colin wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:39 am Hello manyroads
"Brave" can actually route your internet traffic over "Tor" if you open a tab in "incognito" mode. And the new overhauled version supports the extensions from Chrome's Webstore. With that said, I am not advocating for or against trying any browsers. You will need to try and see for yourself. I used Brave for a while but since I couldn't sandbox it properly with firejail I chose not to use it for now until firejail can catch up. I actually use Brave on my Android phone as default and I am very pleased with it's performance.

paul1149

#8 Post by paul1149 »

In a recent thread I detailed the problems that kept me from installing Brave on MX, and I understand there are sandboxing problems also. I hope that can be rectified. I'll probably give it a spin on Win10 next time I fire that machine up.
MX-19-KDE x64, on Ryzen 5, 16GB RAM, SSD. Nvidia graphics.

Captain Brillo

#9 Post by Captain Brillo »

You're better off learning to use your browser settings, your firewall and a good no-log VPN.
Clear your browsers stuff regularly, like every use...yada, yada...

And here's a thought: create an MX VM with VirtualBox to run an email client like Thunderbird on - if you only check your email that way then there's no chance of any "digital/cyber/infection" - or so we're told.
I've actually just done that, am feeling remarkably smug, and waiting for someone to burst my little bubble here... :p :p
GAFA-free zone

bobbee

#10 Post by bobbee »

I have Brave Browser, I like it, not too heavy on resources, The adds thing is a mixed bag. Some sites I want adds to support them and i don't care for their pay thing that they push, But it is good that i don't have to run another blocker when I watch video. Imo, the older versions were better the tab pages were nice, too bad they moved away from that. The other thing I don't care for is the keyring. I don't store passwords and I disable the keyring.
But I do like the browser and i use it all the time.

I found a fix for the install issue.

sudo su root
echo 'kernel.unprivileged_userns_clone=1' > /etc/sysctl.d/00-local-userns.conf
service procps restart
exit

These commands must be run by switching to root user running as sudo didn't work for me.

Return to “General”