Very Interested in helping with testing and troubleshooting.

PaulKBSR

Very Interested in helping with testing and troubleshooting.

#1 Post by PaulKBSR »

Hi,

I was a database application etc. programmer for about 25 years. My main languages were database specific or C. When the database had no answer to my problem I'd fix it with C. That was quite awhile ago and although the language is still second nature to me with nothing to use my skills on it is frustrating. I'm an extremely good troubleshooter and can read and understand/follow most languages after a short study of them but C is my world. I have been working with Python recently and have a pretty good handle on syntax and functions but anything I'd write in it would be procedural because that's how I think. ;) Anyway, I'd just like to offer my services if people are interested. I'd think testing and troubleshooting would be a good place to start. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Thanks,
Paul Borchardt
Current Config: Ever Changing | Intel Quad Core i7-7700 | 16Gb DDR4 | NVIDIA GP104 [GeForce GTX 1070]

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Very Interested in helping with testing and troubleshooting.

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Welcome to the Forum, Paul! Thanks for your offer, much appreciated. We are just entering a developmental cycle and will keep you in mind as things progress.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

We have a couple of Python MX apps, such as MX Clocky and the MX updater...maybe the Timeset GUI? Most of the others are written in C++ using the Qt framework, though.

I'm sure your skills will be useful!

PaulKBSR

#4 Post by PaulKBSR »

I've been working on "re-learning C++" I learned it in some detail quite awhile ago but without using it on a regular basis it never became second nature to me like C. I've also started to look at Qt but haven't gotten very far. I've been looking at IDE's also and was wondering if anybody could recommed one that would work with all three. Python, C++/C, and Qt. Maybe Eclipse?

Thanks!
Current Config: Ever Changing | Intel Quad Core i7-7700 | 16Gb DDR4 | NVIDIA GP104 [GeForce GTX 1070]

fehlix
Developer

#5 Post by fehlix »

You might install QtCreator from the mx-testrepo using MX Package installer. The Qt folks have lot's of good documentation. I admin you can get lost with all the doc out there.
In addition do git-clone from some of our Qt-Apps (and have a play within QtCreator, to get a feeling how those are put together.
With any early questions I'm happy to help. Any advanced questions will get probably better answered by our Qt experts :p .

Welcome to the forum.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

uncle mark

#6 Post by uncle mark »

I'm happy to help with any troublecausing.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

PaulKBSR

#7 Post by PaulKBSR »

I really appreciate the help! In looking around I did find Qt Creator and am installing it as we speak. It looks a bit like an app that I used called Powerbuilder. I wrote a Time and Attendence app with it. Also most of my experience is in the UNIX world and I've been playing with Linux for many years but only on and off. Still have a ton to learn and re-learn in that area so some questions may be pretty novice like. :) As far as asking for help should I use the forum or email people or???

fehlix
Developer

#8 Post by fehlix »

PaulKBSR wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:24 pm I really appreciate the help! In looking around I did find Qt Creator and am installing it as we speak. It looks a bit like an app that I used called Powerbuilder. I wrote a Time and Attendence app with it. Also most of my experience is in the UNIX world and I've been playing with Linux for many years but only on and off. Still have a ton to learn and re-learn in that area so some questions may be pretty novice like. :) As far as asking for help should I use the forum or email people or???
Haa, I know ... any special questions you can send me a PM ;=) Generic one's which get's interested for other too, use the forum.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

towwire

#9 Post by towwire »

PaulKBSR wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:24 pm I really appreciate the help! In looking around I did find Qt Creator and am installing it as we speak. It looks a bit like an app that I used called Powerbuilder. I wrote a Time and Attendence app with it. Also most of my experience is in the UNIX world and I've been playing with Linux for many years but only on and off. Still have a ton to learn and re-learn in that area so some questions may be pretty novice like. :) As far as asking for help should I use the forum or email people or???
I can think of one you could make. I have some user's that are basely from Windows and are happy clickers and have trouble using the terminal even when I have notes for them on what to type. What I'm talking about is an app that would enter the commands like they were putting them into the terminal. You could install WindscribeVPN (it's free) which would give an idea of the commands and something to test. If you do something like it my wife would help you test it.

PaulKBSR

#10 Post by PaulKBSR »

I'm more than willing to try! I'll look at WindscribeVPN and see what I can do. Sounds interesting.

Return to “General”