MX is now #3 on DistroWatch over 7 days

Stevo
Developer

Re: MX is now #3 on DistroWatch over 7 days

#21 Post by Stevo »

Maybe they meant #9 by ratings, where we are now #12, but mostly because of those rather oddball reviews we have another thread about. Plus the #1 and #2 distros have a whopping 15 and 10 reviews apiece, as compared to MX's 465, so they have a very small sample size, and we all know how that affects statistics. You have to go all the way down to Mint at #70 before you hit a distro with more reviews, at 709.

https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=ranking

rasat

#22 Post by rasat »

I use "last 6 months". Tomorrow (11th) or day after, MX will be #3. MX 18beta and 17.1 to 18 update have been busy forum views.
MJ as #1, is not correct. If so, then Arch Linux would be higher than currently. Rolling releases are interesting, but not among top 3.

asqwerth
Developer

#23 Post by asqwerth »

aledie wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:02 pm
You cannot really compare MX vs. MJ, is more psychology, no real meaning or fault of statistics... guess the reason for high MJ ratings is rather simpler than who is better:

---they are rolling, so they get more releases,

To be fair though, the DW page for manjaro shows that there was a 10 month interval between their most recent v.18 release, and the one before that, v.17.1.0.

They do have many community releases for their non-official desktop environments (anything but XFCE, Plasma, Gnome), but are they reported on DW?
--- MJ has all DE niches covered, more users
True.
I get the impression MX people are a bit older and settled down in what they like. Rolling excites many young people, last mobile, last fashion, last packages.
Maybe, maybe not. I'm no longer young. I like both. Mepis was my first distro but when I had learned enough to understand what "rolling" meant, I got into Manjaro as well.
At the end of the day, rating wins vs. number of views.
Again, to be fair, it would be hard for an Arch-based rolling distro to get the sort of ratings and raves about stability that MX gets.

There will always be people attracted to the possibility of something that tries to make Arch easy to install and to update, because of the promise of the latest software. Those willing to learn will likely be happy with what Manjaro offers, and they might give it a good review, or not bother to give input at all.

But if they don't read up to really understand what they are getting into, they may bite off more than they can chew. An update goes wrong because they didn't read up beforehand, so they get really upset and disillusioned, and then give Manjaro a bad review. There is likely to be much more of that happening (giving a bad review after a bad upgrade) than for MX in the DW ratings page. It's just the different nature of the 2 distros.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

manyroads

#24 Post by manyroads »

If you'd like some data that is a bit more significant (statistically) look at three months (MX is #2).
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

clicktician

#25 Post by clicktician »

From this week's Distrowatch review of SuSe Tumbleweed...

"...Tumbleweed consumed more disk space with far fewer programs installed as my installation of MX Linux," -- Jesse Smith, Distrowatch's renowned Linux critic talking about... his copy of MX Linux.

You know you've arrived when the critics themselves use your products.
Son, someday all this will belong to your ex wife.

aledie

#26 Post by aledie »

asqwerth wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:08 pm
To be fair though, the DW page for manjaro shows that there was a 10 month interval between their most recent v.18 release, and the one before that, v.17.1.0.

They do have many community releases for their non-official desktop environments (anything but XFCE, Plasma, Gnome), but are they reported on DW?
You are maybe right to be fair, I actually wanted to say, (how would you call it?) "subpoint releases like 17.1.xx":
-if you look at MJ main DW page
https://distrowatch.com/manjaro
you'll see that the version listed there before 18.0 is actually 17.1.12 (not 17.1.0):
Feature stable 18.0 17.1.12
Release Date 2018-12-10 2018-10-30 2018-08-19

so assume this table is regularly updated. I don't track MJ, but recall seeing a new dot-dot-xx popping up (guess on rss 'Latest distributions CV on DW frontpage)

Also here they are more active in official releases:
2016-17 was perfect for keeping people aware (2-3 mths average): https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=10355

@asqwerth: to make it clear, my language may have come over not as intended, typing from a moby. I have nothing vs. MJ, I believe they do a great job, they are fancy (like Ub once when I just started using Linux), have dynamic community, they reside in a region I'm rooted in mys lf, they work hard, they promote. I tried MJ once and just didn't feel home, someone does!.

What i did want to say was I don't believe number of views means anything, I more trust ratings (even those can be manipated though), because there are many factors influence number of views... Like Ubuntu/ Debian for someone having major user base, get unreasonably low (for them) number of ratings, views too for them being Giants, maybe as their users just don't care for DW)
MX-18 (x64): HP 8460p, i5-2540M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, HD3000

asqwerth
Developer

#27 Post by asqwerth »

aledie wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:57 pm
You are maybe right to be fair, I actually wanted to say, (how would you call it?) "subpoint releases like 17.1.xx":
-if you look at MJ main DW page
https://distrowatch.com/manjaro
you'll see that the version listed there before 18.0 is actually 17.1.12 (not 17.1.0):
Feature stable 18.0 17.1.12
Release Date 2018-12-10 2018-10-30 2018-08-19

.... so assume this table is regularly updated. I don't track MJ, but recall seeing a new dot-dot-xx popping up (guess on rss 'Latest distributions CV on DW frontpage)
I clicked on the link you provided, on both home and work computers, and both times this is what I see:
DW-manj.png
I think this list tracks releases that were actually posted on DW as news announcements. To get to the information you extracted from the table, you have to scroll down the page, and isn't so noticeable unless you were looking for it.

They have issued point releases after 17.1.0, but I don't recall many news announcements on the point releases. But perhaps it's because my Manjaro installs have been rolling for some time so I don't keep track of newer releases on DW.

Anyway, I'm not saying you are definitely wrong, just that I myself don't recall (correctly or not) that many Manjaro distribution release announcements on DW.

Ratings and reviews are definitely more reflective of people's opinion of a distro than the number of clicks on their DW page. But like you said, people who use major distributions may be perfectly satisfied but can't be bothered to post reviews.

So ratings and reviews can only reflect the opinions of those who bothered to use the DW function. It's great for MX that it has many good reviews from this segment of users.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

dphn

#28 Post by dphn »

Hi,

came from Arch/Manjaro. Both are very good distros but when you search for a solid system, I found the Debian base is better. Not bleeding edge here, but who need it on a working station? Software on Debian is tested and runs without issues. For MX-Tools many updates arrived all the time. The developers do a very good job. MX is the most underrated system in my opinion.

Manjaro developers do a good promotion. Hardware comes with pre-installed Manjaro-Systems. In the fall of this year they offered a laptop with the Manjaro KDE-Spin. It's nice but this is not for beginners. They use there own repos and roll out tons of updates on one day and you must read in their forums before you do it.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

nomko

#29 Post by nomko »

Adrian wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:39 am First thing the usually disclaimer, that doesn't mean much, but at the same time I'm excited that there's interest even without a new release. Usually you see numbers growing immediately after a new release.
Exactly! The ranking is based on page views not on numbers of downloads. So, the ranking really doesn't say much about how popular or how many times or how much users MX Linux has. It only shows how many people viewed the (home)page(s) of the MX Linux website.

And today i spotted it is ranked #4. Manjaro at position #1 is on its way down, meaning that lesser people are viewing the Manjaro website. Mint is going up (ofcourse due to the release of the Mint 19.1 Beta releases), Elementary is going up (due to the release of version 5), Also Ubuntu and Debian are rising up in the ranks. But that's all based on page views.
Acer TravelMate-5742Z : running MX-17.1 / BIOS date: 18-11-2010

In 2007 my Windows XP based system informed me to update the system. So, i installed Linux

GerardV

#30 Post by GerardV »

It's #1 now over 7 days :clap:

Return to “General”