First-run "scaling" settings for MX?

Stevo
Developer

First-run "scaling" settings for MX?

#1 Post by Stevo »

After seeing Enlightenment's first-run configurator, which includes a set of buttons to adjust the DE's built-in scaling, I thought about how we could imitate that on MX for the ever-increasing number of high and ultra high dpi screens.

Could we have an MX first-run app that comes up before the Welcome app that has some selections of ipsum dolor text at increasing font sizes, and an instruction in big text to click the button next to the size that looks best? Then if the larger font sizes are selected, the window theme and decorations are changed to either a hdpi or xhdpi variation, too. This would an easy way to fix TFS (tiny font syndrome). Maybe keyboard selection could be added to the wizard, too.

dreamer

Re: First-run "scaling" settings for MX?

#2 Post by dreamer »

Good idea. Now we just have to make someone code it (joke). Hopefully the GTK 3 port of Xfce won't mess with the GTK 2 way of doing HiDPI because that way is superior (better control and better quality). Unless I'm mistaken the GTK 3 way is based on pixel doubling so the UI won't gain sharpness, just bigger size.

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

Yes, this would be just a workaround until xfce gets scaling built-in, but even then, a first-run scaling chooser would still be nice.

Mauser

#4 Post by Mauser »

This would be great if it corrects scaling issues with certain programs on certain windows with high DPI settings.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

Mauser wrote:This would be great if it corrects scaling issues with certain programs on certain windows with high DPI settings.
I don't think that would help with those, it's just to make it easier to get the right size system font in xfce along with more appropriate window themes and decorations. I can see a beginner getting frustrated if they can't even read the default 10.5-pt font on a 4K 13 inch screen.

Mauser

#6 Post by Mauser »

O.K., thanks.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

spidermouse

#7 Post by spidermouse »

The DPI can be set with xfconf-query

Code: Select all

xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Xft/DPI -s 148 -n -t int
Restoring

Code: Select all

xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Xft/DPI -r
Also this is interesting. https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=45857#p45857
Doubling the default icon sizes and setting the /etc/environment.

dallylas

#8 Post by dallylas »

It is very usful, thanks

Return to “General”