Is Free VPNs Secure?

HessenZone

Re: Is Free VPNs Secure?

#11 Post by HessenZone »

We've been using VPN services for the past 7 or 8 years in our family. We stopped using free VPN services for several reasons. ONE, almost all free VPN services have a seriuos impact on the speed with wich you can use the Internet, once the VPN has been activated. TWO, as more and more people use that very same service, you'll notice an even greater drop in speed, primarily during rush hours where most people are online smultaneously. THREE, a lot of VPN services are just good for browser usage which does not include sharing/downloading on third party software applications which are not Browser based, and FOUR, these days there are some phenomenal commercial VPN services available which are dirt cheap.
PIA and Expressvpn are two services that we've been very happy with. Little to no loss in connection speed, thousands upon thousands of servers Worldwide, protection for third party apps, Linux compatible, excellent help system, and best of all - both of these are very affordable to use. NordVPN also has an excellent reputation and costs less than $3 bucks monthly on a 3 year plan.

MX Linux Rocks, in America, in Europa, in Australien, einfach ÜBERALL. :linuxlove:

oops

#12 Post by oops »

https is my favorite VPN .... free and fast ;-)
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

waldmattis

#13 Post by waldmattis »

There is an excellent VPN-service called Cyberghost that I use since years.
It is very fast and reliable.
And the best is:
by it at ebay and it will cost you only 12,- € PER YEAR!!

https://www.ebay.de/itm/CyberGhost-6-20 ... =R40&rt=nc

Adrian
Developer

#14 Post by Adrian »

oops wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:56 am https is my favorite VPN .... free and fast ;-)
That's a good point, most of the sites are now encrypted that kind of eliminates the need for VPN.

fehlix
Developer

#15 Post by fehlix »

Adrian wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:11 pm
oops wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:56 am https is my favorite VPN .... free and fast ;-)
That's a good point, most of the sites are now encrypted that kind of eliminates the need for VPN.
Hmme.. for those like me, who not have seen a need for VPN (yet), it might be of interest to know what you guys actually using VPN for. To add: I do get daily a new (external visible ) IP and can reset my IP whenever I like.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

richb
Administrator

#16 Post by richb »

fehlix wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:20 pm
Hmme.. for those like me, who not have seen a need for VPN (yet), it might be of interest to know what you guys actually using VPN for. To add: I do get daily a new (external visible ) IP and can reset my IP whenever I like.
I do not know, just using it. Kind of cool to see that I am browsing from Italy.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

handy

#17 Post by handy »

@felix, I've been using a VPN whenever I'm online for a >few years now. As far as I'm concerned it is a political statement. As I'm old enough to remember when the government of my country used to prosecute people for doing the things that countless other entities including itself are doing 24/7 these days. Apart from just about every site wanting to track your IP (which of course a VPN hides - among other things)

What was once illegal re. the invasion of an individual's privacy, has now become mainstream, to the point that some things just cannot be done online without you surrendering access to information that identifies you in your online travels (plus). Even certain government "public" web pages can not be viewed whilst using a VPN! (Many corporate - & other - entities, often use VPN technology to protect themselves from industrial espionage.)

Also, I have, & will NEVER use a free VPN. Anyone who is seriously interested in protecting their privacy can still benefit (see note at the end) from doing a web search & spending a few hours reading.

After doing so, they won't use a free VPN, nor will they use quite a number of the paid for ones, as most of them keep logs & data that makes the user personally identifiable, also, many of them track their users when they access their sites, via social media applets (something that came out fairly recently).

Note: I put "still benefit" in bold, as I, being a person who has lived on the web for far too many years now, has watched the continued corporate ownership of the web, with sadness - web content surely ain't what it used to be, re. there is nowhere near the variety of sites providing info' on a given topic coming up in a search from any of the search engines (not just g**gle's) as there once was. Apart from that, I can search & get no hits, on topics that once I could - not illegal topics.

This censorship of the web seems to me, to have everything to do with what the corporate think tanks that run much of the web can make money out of. In combination, of course, with those that we call the elite, who's self serving & continued, ongoing desires to control the topics that the populations of the world view.

All this being a part of their ever present effort to control how the little people think. Which, one way or another, is an oft repeated story. e.g. Bibles & church services in Latin, so as to keep the little people where they belong (I'm just picking an easy well known one - I'm not picking on that branch of Christianity in particular), it has gone on since time immemorial in so many different forms. Though nothing has ever been like it is in this day & age...

It often makes me wish computers were never invented, as without computers, Big Brother, just can not exist.
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

fehlix
Developer

#18 Post by fehlix »

Thank you, handy. So far I had only looked at the spying web bugs in my personal radar. Now I will deal with VPN and Tor. Let's have a look.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

oops

#19 Post by oops »

Yes it's the main reason why I have no need to use a VPN from my home box.
...And it's like the arms race, even if the shields are more and more powerful, the swords in front are more and more powerful too ... the flaws are even at the material level (not only software eg microcode ) ... so who wants can, it is just necessary that it is not accessible too easily.
handy wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:54 pm ... It often makes me wish computers were never invented, as without computers, Big Brother, just can not exist.
It's very philosophical.
All these little connected individuals (that we are all) make me think of our small cells that make up our body, as a living being in their own right ... each one is controlled, managed, fed, renewed to produce an entity even more complex that exceeds us or will perhaps exceed one day ?
Last edited by oops on Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

wulf

#20 Post by wulf »

handy wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:54 pm web content surely ain't what it used to be, re. there is nowhere near the variety of sites providing info' on a given topic coming up in a search from any of the search engines (not just g**gle's) as there once was. Apart from that, I can search & get no hits, on topics that once I could - not illegal topics.
This is so true...Case in point. I was searching a couple of days ago for information regarding the quality of drinking water in a certain area not so far from me, (specifically regarding the types of heavy metals found in given samples). Nothing resulted, on several search engines...Save for one reference buried 5 pages deep on Google, and that was four years out of date and very sketchy on scientific data. Several years ago, I could have pulled a wealth of independent and corporate studies on that particular subject from the web...The dumb-ing down is appalling and worrying in equal measure..

Return to “General”