-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Compiz and ATI x1270 in M8

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Compiz and ATI x1270 in M8

#21 Post by TenderFoot » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:24 pm

Yes, of course - b****y obvious really!

Still impossible to use. Just a few blocks of graphics at login screen and a square block for the mouse cursor.

Now have 4 xorg.conf files with various designations (viewed from another distro).

Anyway, have now done an additional install of M8 so have two to experiment with. (Strangely, this time it refused to respond to xdrvr=radeon and had to use xdrvr=ati).

[I did reply yesterday but it disappeared into the ether and transported me elsewhere - presumably an inappropriate keypress so took the hint and retired before causing anymore damage!]

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#22 Post by kmathern » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:42 pm

TenderFoot wrote:Yes, of course - b****y obvious really!

Still impossible to use. Just a few blocks of graphics at login screen and a square block for the mouse cursor.

Now have 4 xorg.conf files with various designations (viewed from another distro).

Anyway, have now done an additional install of M8 so have two to experiment with. (Strangely, this time it refused to respond to xdrvr=radeon and had to use xdrvr=ati).

[I did reply yesterday but it disappeared into the ether and transported me elsewhere - presumably an inappropriate keypress so took the hint and retired before causing anymore damage!]
If you're booting to init level 3 that's pure command line mode. There shouldn't be any graphics or mouse cursor, just a login prompt.

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#23 Post by TenderFoot » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:20 am

No, that's after applying ati driver (as described by timkb4cq) and subsequently trying to boot normally.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#24 Post by kmathern » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:27 am

Okay, what about the boot splash? Is it enabled or disabled?

Until you get things working I would keep the splash disabled.

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#25 Post by TenderFoot » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:05 am

Tried both ways with same result.

Don't know whether that install can be salvaged - especially as I can't get at desktop.

Perhaps as suggested by timkb4cq
You may want to download sgfxi first (to /usr/local/bin) so you can use it to revert easily to the Xorg driver if things go sideways.
Alternatively could try something else with a fresh install (it's just such a chore repeatedly resetting the repos, sorting gpg's and updating!).

Return to “Software / Configuration”