Fast news: @MX_Linux

The Forum is now on mxlinux.org and uses an encrypted (https) connection

Please read this Important information: Linux kernel exploit

• antiX-16, release info here -- watch the video. Torrents here
  • MX-15 (antiX MX), release info here: here. Monthly update/upgrade available here.
  • Older MX Linux releases available on the download page

New users
  • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!

CAD software discussion

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

CAD software discussion

#1 Postby Caesar2 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:28 am

Trying to get some input on who uses which CAD software and how it works for you.

I've found a lot of good resources for CAD software in the wiki. While I, for now, have settled on FreeCAD, it was because I thought it was the best I would be able to find for Linux. I finally got one version installed that appears to be working properly and will try another today.

I just ran across a project called BlenderCAD. Blender suffers from a lack of standard measuring units and I'm thinking BlenderCAD will correct this. The BlenderCAD project is either completed or abandoned. There hasn't been any activity on their website in a while, it seems.

There are some others that look promising. MEDUSA4 is one.

Any suggestions?

PROCESSOR AMD A10-5800K APU with Radeon(tm) HD
3.8G 4M FM2 R
Segate 250 Gig

vesa/fglrx BUS: PCI EXPRESS

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: CAD software discussion

#2 Postby Topher » Fri May 10, 2013 7:28 pm

qcad was in our repository, but I don't see it there now. I have only played around with it a little while trying to learn how to use a cad program. But that was a couple of years ago and I really wasn't able to make enough headway to do much of anything.
MX15 MoBo ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 CPU AMD Phenom II X4 945 PSU CORSAIR CX500 (CMPSU-500CX) RAM Crucial CT2KIT25664BA1339 HD WD5000AAKX Wireless EDIMAX EW 7128g

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: CAD software discussion

#3 Postby Stevo » Fri May 10, 2013 10:08 pm

You might want to take a look at the third post in this thread:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&t=129719

Backporting the newest Freecad to our community repo looked like a lot of work, since it needs a lot of upgraded or wholly new libraries. I'll see if any of the others have newer versions upstream and if they will backport.

Edit: Librecad 1.0.1 is in Squeeze-backports already, and we apparently have the build-depends in M11 for the 2.0 beta in Experimental, so I'll try that one first.

Later: M11 packages are here. http://ubuntuone.com/6VFY5yrMqy4YrtSbmGZhZz

The -data deb installs first, then the program deb for your architecture. I'll also send it up to the CR.

Return to “Software / Configuration”