Can we get a "NEWBIE" section

Forum for discussion and implementation of project work to enhance mxlinux.org and other MX Websites
Eadwine Rose
Administrator

Re: Can we get a "NEWBIE" section

#31 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Just toss up a blue screen with text on it. ;)
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Kulmbacher

#32 Post by Kulmbacher »

GlockdocVegas wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:10 am .... However, if we had a "NEWBIE" section it would help newbies from getting answers that required and follow up "what does that mean" post....
A Newbie section is one place more to search and find solutions.
Think it is more work for all, maybe next question comes: Can we get a "german" Newbie ... ;-)

Think the better way is you show your status "Newbie on board, please easy answers for me" in ... maybe signature?

So the existing structure will stay beside the other "places" manual, wiki, private blogs etc. - lot`s of places!

Greets from german newbie ;-)
they called him, the fish!

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#33 Post by JayM »

Thank you, richb.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

richb
Administrator

#34 Post by richb »

Thank you and all others for the suggestions.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

manyroads

#35 Post by manyroads »

From my perspective the biggest problem with these Forums (as well as many others) is that the native "search function" struggles to produce truly meaningful results. Too often a search for something like 'openbox' produces a long list of current posts, not a list of related topics/ threads. Older topics often are buried 6 feet under an endless list of individual posts in recently active threads. Since 'newbies' are frequently seeking information that might be months or years old, they simply bore of searching lengthy lists of posts... and re-ask something that has been asked before (sometimes frequently).

I deal with the problem by doing a Google-style search, outside of forums' and then re-accessing the Forums.

But then, I'm just a cranky old guy. What do I know.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

richb
Administrator

#36 Post by richb »

I agree the phpBB search function is far from ideal. I am sure you have tried refining your search once the first results are listed. Or search in particular forums, or with more specificity than just one word.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

rasat

#37 Post by rasat »

manyroads wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:52 am I deal with the problem by doing a Google-style search, outside of forums' and then re-accessing the Forums.
I do same, don't like when complicating the matter. Luckily I am "old timer" able to do most thing on my own. But what about users who need forum search or easy browsing through the forums.

Current forums are well thought, but requires a "technical" mind where to go, such as ACTIVELY DEVELOPED... or CONDITIONALLY SUPPORTED or General (ACTIVELY) or General (Development). This is why I am supporting a Newbie corner.

manyroads

#38 Post by manyroads »

rasat wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:26 pm
manyroads wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:52 am I deal with the problem by doing a Google-style search, outside of forums' and then re-accessing the Forums.
I do same, don't like when complicating the matter. Luckily I am "old timer" able to do most thing on my own. But what about users who need forum search or easy browsing through the forums.

Current forums are well thought, but requires a "technical" mind where to go, such as ACTIVELY DEVELOPED... or CONDITIONALLY SUPPORTED or General (ACTIVELY) or General (Development). This is why I am supporting a Newbie corner.
I remember being young once & new to Linux (a bit later) :number1: ... I agree that a newbie section is a worthy endeavor. :eek:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

KBD

#39 Post by KBD »

I do pretty good searching the forums if I can get the keywords right. Sometimes I have to look up old posts of mine where I had a problem, or figured something out, but have forgotten it--old age probably--and I include my user name in the search which usually gets me there.
Probably putting a huge sign at the top of the forum:
THE ALT-F1 KEYS WILL GET YOU THE USERS MANUAL
:)
That would help the newbies with many basic issues.

tascoast

#40 Post by tascoast »

Although this is a bit out-of-date and some things have been consolidated into MX Tweak, the following sort of blog is aimed at getting newer users up and running so far as desktop changes and similar basic tasks.
http://mxlinuxguide.blogspot.com/
This sort of thing, alongside the video guides, could be simply offered as a set of useful links to page for newbies, without needing to add any other particular content?

*I included links to other language sites on one tab.
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 23..2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-23.2/MX21.3./antiX 23/Mint 21.3, Ubuntu 22.04.4, openSUSE Tumbleweed,

Return to “Website”