Can we get a "NEWBIE" section

Forum for discussion and implementation of project work to enhance mxlinux.org and other MX Websites
GlockdocVegas

Can we get a "NEWBIE" section

#1 Post by GlockdocVegas »

I have only been here a short time and the community support is fantastic. However, if we had a "NEWBIE" section it would help newbies from getting answers that required and follow up "what does that mean" post.

I have been a linux user for 3 years, ms free for over 2 and still get answers that are way over my pay grade.

Thanks for the great forum site and all the amazing members!!

richb
Administrator

Re: Can we get a "NEWBIE" section

#2 Post by richb »

I would prefer not to do that. It has no specificity to the problem being asked. Secondly having a name on the forum will not prevent solutions "way over" a users head. If one does not understand a solution they should ask for clarity.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#3 Post by Eadwine Rose »

If it is any consolation... I have been here since 2006 and words like "kernel" scare me ;)

But like Rich said: if you don't understand, just ask. I always try and find out what a command that has been given to me does, googling, but if I still don't get it, I just ask. It's ok :)
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

GlockdocVegas

#4 Post by GlockdocVegas »

Yeah, posting in a newbie section let's those responding assume the op has little knowledge and gets more specific answers.

My position is based on experience in another forum.

Sure, Google helps, lots of places to look.

Since the answers come from volunteers, asking "what does that mean" oft entails a prolonged wait due to time zone differences. The person gracious enough to post a solution may not be back online for quite some time or the op may be on the other side of the world.

Again voice of experience. I am currently dealing with that on another forum.

No worries, your house. I am just a guest. Thought it might help, especially since so many folks are joining the mx ranks.

richb
Administrator

#5 Post by richb »

Input is always welcome. And Welcome to the Forum. We have users with expertise in all time zones and my experience is that posts get responded to quickly.
However, I will pose your request to the other admins
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#6 Post by chrispop99 »

Perhaps a work-around might be to include 'Newbie' in the title of any query?

I've been here a while, but still consider myself at the earliest stages of learning, so would be more inclined to look at a query that I might be able to answer, in a way that someone at my level might understand.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#7 Post by JayM »

I think that a separate NEWBIE forum or sub-forum would just add to the disorder and confusion, and give those trying to help others an additional place to have to look in for cries for help. People already post their help requests all over the place willy-nilly as it is, including in the Tips&Tricks subforum that's supposed to be for sharing tips and how-tos, in the Chat forum, and absolutely everywhere!
chrispop99 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:46 am Perhaps a work-around might be to include 'Newbie' in the title of any query?

I've been here a while, but still consider myself at the earliest stages of learning, so would be more inclined to look at a query that I might be able to answer, in a way that someone at my level might understand.

Chris
That's not a bad idea at all. Just add to the "New users: please read this first" thread (that nobody ever bothers to read and heed) something that encourages those new to Linux in general or MX in particular to indicate that in the subject line of their posts.
Last edited by JayM on Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

GlockdocVegas

#8 Post by GlockdocVegas »

Great idea Chris! I believe I will use it!

Thanks for having me admins!

Infodude

#9 Post by Infodude »

"Newbie" is such a ninny word.
How about using the term "Greenhorn"?
Greenhorn has a much richer pedigree, www.nytimes.com/1991/06/23/magazine/on- ... nhorn.html and just sounds way cooler.

Just a thought,

Infodude, a recent MX greenhorn loving persistence on a USB stick.
If it's knowledge you are seeking,
And the info you're not getten,
CallLLL! for InfoChicken!

asqwerth
Developer

#10 Post by asqwerth »

Fewer letters, though.

There is a limit on number of letters allowed in the thread title field so if you want to be as descriptive as possible, every letter counts! ;-P
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Return to “Website”