Can we get a "NEWBIE" section

Forum for discussion and implementation of project work to enhance mxlinux.org and other MX Websites
rasat

Re: Can we get a "NEWBIE" section

#41 Post by rasat »

tascoast wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:05 am This sort of thing, alongside the video guides, could be simply offered as a set of useful links to page for newbies, without needing to add any other particular content?
At the bottom line, to have one corner / section / thread where all links (hints&tips, manuals, important {Solved] threads, etc.) are located in one place for newbies, as well as for others. Example, such as the sticker where all respin links are located in one place. This sticker link would also be in the newbie corner.
viewtopic.php?f=100&t=48617

In other words, some type of link directory corner or thread.

manyroads

#42 Post by manyroads »

tascoast wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:05 am Although this is a bit out-of-date and some things have been consolidated into MX Tweak, the following sort of blog is aimed at getting newer users up and running so far as desktop changes and similar basic tasks.
http://mxlinuxguide.blogspot.com/
This sort of thing, alongside the video guides, could be simply offered as a set of useful links to page for newbies, without needing to add any other particular content?

*I included links to other language sites on one tab.
Personally... I do not like video guides. I much prefer written help with screenshots. I do everything in my power to avoid YoutTube vids. :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

skidoo

#43 Post by skidoo »

Personally... I do not like video guides.
okay... thanks for sharing?

:snooze:

an on-topic "true story" :
I was more than a bit shaken (air quotes here, to spare ya from reading something about "...a brick")
a while back when I noticed the posts by someone (mauser) I was replying to bore the title "Forum Guide".
Later, when that suddenly appeared alongside my posts, I realized that label -- which implicitly implies rank -- is just auto-applied when anyone's post count reaches 1000

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#44 Post by Eadwine Rose »

manyroads wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:55 pm Personally... I do not like video guides. I much prefer written help with screenshots. I do everything in my power to avoid YoutTube vids. :bagoverhead:
You have not seen Dolphin Oracles' videos then. VERY easy to follow :)
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

manyroads

#45 Post by manyroads »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:47 pm
manyroads wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:55 pm Personally... I do not like video guides. I much prefer written help with screenshots. I do everything in my power to avoid YoutTube vids. :bagoverhead:
Actually I have seen D_O's vids.

My statement simply reflects a learning style preference. I am a tactile and visual learner. I need to touch and do in order to learn & remember (which is why I write so much stuff down). Videos do not really facilitate that stop and do approach... step by step. They tend to be too visually and aurally busy and I find them difficult to 'learn from'.

None of this is a reflection on anyone. By all means provide video tutorials to newbies and others. Everyone has preferred learning modes. I like mine written with still images.

All this is to simply to say that no matter what needs to be communicated, the message(s) need to serve a diverse population (of people with diverse learning styles). :eek:
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#46 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Oh mind.. I followed DO's video on formatting GPT and such..

then wrote things down step by step. Heh.. so.. I guess in many ways I am similar. Did lots of pauses watching that video.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#47 Post by JayM »

manyroads wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:10 pm
Eadwine Rose wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:47 pm
Actually I have seen D_O's vids.

My statement simply reflects a learning style preference. I am a tactile and visual learner. I need to touch and do in order to learn & remember (which is why I write so much stuff down). Videos do not really facilitate that stop and do approach... step by step. They tend to be too visually and aurally busy and I find them difficult to 'learn from'.

None of this is a reflection on anyone. By all means provide video tutorials to newbies and others. Everyone has preferred learning modes. I like mine written with still images.

All this is to simply to say that no matter what needs to be communicated, the message(s) need to serve a diverse population (of people with diverse learning styles). :eek:
I'm the same way. Give me a how-to in document form and my own computer as a "lab" so I can do the task myself. Watching a video of someone else doing the task doesn't do a thing for me, plus if I'm trying to follow along I have to pause the video then perform the step on my computer, go back and restart the video, sometimes rewind the video and try to find instructions for the previous step that I did wrong... the technicalities of the medium in which the material is presented interfere too much with the learning process for me. And if I just watch the video all the way through, about all I take away from it is the memory of having seen the video. Watching a video of someone cooking a complicated dish is not the same thing as following an actual recipe. OTOH there are people who struggle to learn by reading printed documentation and do better when they can follow along with somebody else by watching videos or seeing live demonstrations. Still others learn best in a lecture or discussion environment as they're aural learners. Maybe we also need audio books or podcasts?
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Kulmbacher

#48 Post by Kulmbacher »

same here. Don`t know the exact english word for "quer lesen" in german.
It means the eyes fly over the page to the important point. That`s fast!
I have seen the half of one ;-)

No chance to translate into german. Problems are not only the english words, sorry D_O, also your slang for non natives ;-)

I like black letters on white paper!
they called him, the fish!

manyroads

#49 Post by manyroads »

Also solche Schwierigkeiten... ;) Genau Kultur ist immer problematisch!

"querlesen" muß voll "skim reading" auf US Englisch sein
Pax vobiscum,

Sparky

#50 Post by Sparky »

manyroads wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:10 pm Everyone has preferred learning modes. I like mine written with still images.
+1
MX Linux Asus F552, 12GB RAM, 500GB WD SSD MX19.2
Dell Inspiron 7559 16GB RAM 1X 256GB SSD & 1TB SSD MX KDE 21.1 & Windows 11
Mini Tower PC 2X 256GB SSD MX KDE21.1

Return to “Website”