A New MX/ antiX Wiki?

Forum for discussion and implementation of project work to enhance mxlinux.org and other MX Websites
richb
Administrator

Re: A New MX/ antiX Wiki?

#41 Post by richb »

There is a description in the admin setup panel but it does not show. It can be made to show by editing the code in a template. I am not sure that doing so would not clutter the Index page with a lot of text. And even if we did that I am sure it would be ignored by some.
We have a note in our contact form that it is only to be used for Forum Registration problems but very often get emails requesting help for MX.
The solution is for the mods, including me to be more vigilant and move posts out of Tips and Tricks that do not belong there.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#42 Post by JayM »

It would make it a bit easier for users to choose the most-correct forum or subforum for their posts though, and prevent some of the clutter and save you mods at least some work moving topics around.

Granted, a few people aren't (how do I put it politely?) as clever as one could wish and will post in the wrong place, just like they don't give any information about their computers when asking for help. The best that the admins can do is try to mitigate those situations as much as possible using whatever information is displayed in the forum, then as you say, move posts to their proper places. If their were board descriptions, hopefully there wouldn't be quite as many to have to move.

Edit: I can't really blame people. I still have a hard time figuring out where the best places to post topics would be. It must be even harder for people who are new to the forum. Descriptions would help.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

richb
Administrator

#43 Post by richb »

It would have to done by our webmaster, peregrine. I can add it to a list of things to do, but she is very busy and this will have a low priority. Most likely it will be tried on an off line copy as I still believe it will make a mess of the Index page unless it is a tooltip upon hover.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#44 Post by JayM »

richb wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:33 pm It would have to done by our webmaster, peregrine. I can add it to a list of things to do, but she is very busy and this will have a low priority. Most likely it will be tried on an off line copy as I still believe it will make a mess of the Index page unless it is a tooltip upon hover.
Yep, that's always the best way: test it in a sandbox first before changing the live system. That's what I always did on forums that I was involved in as an admin, years ago. Then I'd get approval from other admins and mods, after they'd tested the changes in the sandbox, before going live with it which would be at a scheduled date and time that had been announced beforehand (in case of an outage.)

Maybe the subforum descriptions could be added only to the template that displays those subforums when their names are clicked on in the main page? For instance, the Tips&Tricks page shows a description between the title "Tips&Tricks" and the "New Topic" button, but the lists of subforums underneath the main forum names on the front page don't show subforum descriptions? This would prevent cluttering up the main page. That would be the template for viewforum.php (I think) that had descriptions enabled rather than index.php. The field that would need to be added (or uncommented-out if it's there but disabled) is FORUM_DESC, right underneath FORUM_NAME.
Last edited by JayM on Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Buck Fankers

#45 Post by Buck Fankers »

richb wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:38 pm We do have a Tips and Tricks Forum. Perhaps we can rename it Tutorials, Tips and Tricks..
You are correct, my bad. It just doesn't seem to work like tutorials section on Manjaro forum. Probably for reasons you guys already discussed.

asqwerth
Developer

#46 Post by asqwerth »

Perhaps posts that do not belong in the Tips and Tricks sub-forum could be flagged by people who notice it. That will bring them to the attention of the Moderators who can then move them to the right place.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#47 Post by JayM »

asqwerth wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:24 am Perhaps posts that do not belong in the Tips and Tricks sub-forum could be flagged by people who notice it. That will bring them to the attention of the Moderators who can then move them to the right place.
I guess that would be me, since I'm the one who mentioned it. :smile: I'll start reporting them as off-topic a few at a time, so as not to inundate the mods.

tascoast

#48 Post by tascoast »

What about a simple Beta Wiki thread or compilation of useful solutions to various scenarios? Tips and Tricks orientated perhaps as mentioned?

Anyway, something relatively simple in practice that can refined later. There does seem to be a lot of good content in existing threads that could be distilled as such.
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 19.2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-21/MX19/antiX19/Mint 19

manyroads

#49 Post by manyroads »

The eirenicon (WordPress) Knowledgebase is online (here's a small article on how it was built) http://eirenicon.org/2019/06/14/eirenic ... is-online/
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

manyroads

#50 Post by manyroads »

Just in case people think my eirenicon Knowledgebase is being sold for use here or anywhere "other than on my site..."

Let me offer what, in my humble opinion, are some pretty awesome distro Community Help pages :number1: :

https://community.linuxmint.com/
https://askubuntu.com/
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://www.gentoo.org/support/

These are what I think are useful for a popular distro. They are well beyond what my little effort can handle. :eek:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Return to “Website”