A New MX/ antiX Wiki?

Forum for discussion and implementation of project work to enhance mxlinux.org and other MX Websites
JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: A New MX/ antiX Wiki?

#31 Post by JayM »

Jerry3904 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:34 am Somebody could start by copying and pasting the HELP files into LibreOffice, since LO has a Wiki publisher extension that is in the repos (never tried it myself).

As an example, I attach the HELP file for Conky Manager--two minutes work.
Is there any documentation online or it the forum about which particular help files that this needs to be done to? I may be able to help.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#32 Post by Jerry3904 »

READ MY LIPS: no interest (or time, for that matter).
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

manyroads

#33 Post by manyroads »

As I noted at the outset... "Project Dead."

Edit: Perhaps the moderators will be kind enough to close the Thread.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

peter_li

#34 Post by peter_li »

Maybe the reason for this desinterest is in the approach described by manyroads with the huge amount of work to do. It seems Jerry3904 has written all the wiki pages which I have seen so far and it is understandable that he don't want to make double the work. And a Hercules is not in sight ...

But maybe a different approach would have more chance of success...
1. Keep the existing at it is.
2. Install a Mediawiki or something else on the MX infrastructure
3. Set a link to the old Wiki
4. Open the Wiki so that enthusiastic users from all over the world can Register and edit pages like Ants build an ant hill.
5. So the work of the admins can drastically reduced.

In case of misauthoring the failure can be solved by one click.
DELL Latitude E6510 i5, 4 threads with Kernel 5.10, MX-21 Mate and Windows 10.
Deutsches Wiki: https://wiki.mxlinuxusers.de/wiki/Hauptseite unter Verwendung von MediaWiki

manyroads

#35 Post by manyroads »

As we say where I live: "I don't have a dog in the fight... " :puppy:
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Buck Fankers

#36 Post by Buck Fankers »

peter_li wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:56 am But maybe a different approach would have more chance of success...
I have one suggestion. Not really a wiki, but hear me out...
It would be nice if there would be a forum category: "Tutorials" as Manjaro forum has it, check it out:

https://forum.manjaro.org/c/technical-i ... /tutorials

Then users can write into it their own tutorials, as they feel like it, and all of them would be in one place, easy to find. I find Manjaro's Tutorials section the most important of the whole forum. Maybe it would be worth a try?
Last edited by Buck Fankers on Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peter_li

#37 Post by peter_li »

manyroads wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:02 pm As we say where I live: "I don't have a dog in the fight... " :puppy:
Or, maybe, you can say also: "It's not my beer" to be more understandable by not-americans. ;-)
DELL Latitude E6510 i5, 4 threads with Kernel 5.10, MX-21 Mate and Windows 10.
Deutsches Wiki: https://wiki.mxlinuxusers.de/wiki/Hauptseite unter Verwendung von MediaWiki

manyroads

#38 Post by manyroads »

peter_li wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:32 pm
manyroads wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:02 pm As we say where I live: "I don't have a dog in the fight... " :puppy:
Or, maybe, you can say also: "It's not my beer" to be more understandable by not-americans. ;-)
Kann sein... ;)
Pax vobiscum,

richb
Administrator

#39 Post by richb »

Buck Fankers wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:16 pm
peter_li wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:56 am But maybe a different approach would have more chance of success...
I have one suggestion. Not really a wiki, but hear me out...
It would be nice if there would be a forum category: "Tutorials" as Manjaro forum has it, check it out:

https://forum.manjaro.org/c/technical-i ... /tutorials

Then users can write into it their own tutorials, as they feel like it, and all of them would be in one place, easy to find. I find Manjaro's Tutorials section the most important of the whole forum. Maybe it would be worth a try?
We do have a Tips and Tricks Forum. Perhaps we can rename it Tutorials, Tips and Tricks..
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#40 Post by JayM »

People keep posting so many help requests in Tips&Tricks that it's not very easy to browse the tutorials and how-tos there. It's too cluttered with topics that don't belong there. GOK why people think that that would be the best forum to ask their support questions in. I would think the name makes it obvious what it's supposed to be for.

Can subforum descriptions be added so they either appear in smaller type underneath the names or as a tooltip, however phpbb does it? Then maybe you could add "Please don't post help requests here." at the end.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Return to “Website”