A New MX/ antiX Wiki?

Forum for discussion and implementation of project work to enhance mxlinux.org and other MX Websites
peter_li

Re: A New MX/ antiX Wiki?

#21 Post by peter_li »

No Progress since March in this thread?

We are building on the german MX Linux Users DE Wiki which is based on MediaWiki. I have seen other distributions wikis but they tend to use MediaWiki also. Maybe they are not so beautyful like WordPress, but hey it's for technical documentation and the learning factor will be less high for the potential authors cause their wide use in Wikipedia.
DELL Latitude E6510 i5, 4 threads with Kernel 5.10, MX-21 Mate and Windows 10.
Deutsches Wiki: https://wiki.mxlinuxusers.de/wiki/Hauptseite unter Verwendung von MediaWiki

manyroads

#22 Post by manyroads »

I believe this is 'on the table'.... in other words all but dead. :lipsrsealed:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Jerry3904
Administrator

#23 Post by Jerry3904 »

As I said before, anyone who is willing to do the work should go ahead and do it.

I am not interested.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

manyroads

#24 Post by manyroads »

Actually without access to the current data, there really is very little 'more' that can be done.
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

richb
Administrator

#25 Post by richb »

manyroads wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:44 am Actually without access to the current data, there really is very little 'more' that can be done.
I do not understand. All the data needed is in the wiki.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

manyroads

#26 Post by manyroads »

Well quickly here are the issues...
1. There are hundreds of pages (I'm guessing) of data in the Wiki
2. Personally, I have no idea what format these pages are in except to say they are running on a WordPress(WP) site; so I'm guessing that means they are simple WP pages unless
3. They could be in a WordPress Wiki Plugin in which case I wonder why there's question about conversion and single login.
4. To build a prototype requires access to a copy of the live data, so it can be converted and tested for usability, etc. in new formats (it sounds like people want to test mediaWiki & WP Wiki.
Pax vobiscum,

richb
Administrator

#27 Post by richb »

Certainly it is a major undertaking, but doable. I also have no interest in this, so will not get into the details of how it can be done.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

manyroads

#28 Post by manyroads »

richb wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:03 am Certainly it is a major undertaking, but doable. I also have no interest in this, so will not get into the details of how it can be done.
Yes this effort could be doable (I don't blame you for 'standing clear'. Any 'who' here are my last thoughts (they are quick, shallow, and carry ZERO weight in the community.) :bagoverhead: btw. I'm good with all that.

Here are some WP Wiki Plugin options. This is not an exhaustive list, nor is it cleaned of redundancy.

--- https://www.sourcewp.com/best-wordpress ... e-plugins/
--- https://athemes.com/collections/best-kn ... ss-themes/
--- https://www.hostinger.com/tutorials/bes ... ki-plugins
--- https://colorlib.com/wp/wordpress-wiki-themes/

Presumably a few of the above suggested plugins would need to be tested for usability; they also need to be stress tested to be certain they can handle the number of pages and provide adequate response, etc. Be advised many require the setup of a completely new site in order to run correctly because they are driven by a theme. This would almost certainly require 'some?' bridging of user sign-on across WP sites. Neither easy nor fun.

Beyond that if people want to test mediaWiki (MW), there needs to be a transfer of data from today's format into MW for testing.

In each case, there is a requirement to access existing Login User data to test SSO and the current WIKI data files (so the material can be loaded in the 'new format(s)'. All the above require admin access to the current MX site to get at the data for review and transfer. Certainly someone like the current webmaster could perform all the tasks (probably very enthusiastically :mad: )...

This all still begs the question as to who in the MX dev community is the responsible user. Who will provide judgment on best fit, usefulness, adherence to MX project desires etc. ? :alien: Other issues needing adjudication include:
--- Multi-lingual needs
--- antiX inclusion?
--- Old MX Wiki data?
--- Wiki theming (Look & feel)
--- and probably a couple of dozen more items...

Until some of the above have support and energy behind them, I personally don't see any way for this project to advance. :needcoffee:

Edit: But I'm probably wrong... :footinmouth:
Pax vobiscum,

Jerry3904
Administrator

#29 Post by Jerry3904 »

Somebody could start by copying and pasting the HELP files into LibreOffice, since LO has a Wiki publisher extension that is in the repos (never tried it myself).

As an example, I attach the HELP file for Conky Manager--two minutes work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

manyroads

#30 Post by manyroads »

Jerry3904 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:34 am Somebody could start by copying and pasting the HELP files into LibreOffice, since LO has a Wiki publisher extension that is in the repos (never tried it myself).

As an example, I attach the HELP file for Conky Manager--two minutes work.
Have at it Jerry! :p
Pax vobiscum,

Return to “Website”