A New MX/ antiX Wiki?

Forum for discussion and implementation of project work to enhance mxlinux.org and other MX Websites
rasat

Re: A New MX/ antiX Wiki?

#11 Post by rasat »

The new page is up and running, its beautiful with improved navigation. Wiki is still CMS. As a knowledge base wiki, does well. Do we want a Wiki system where search and user contribution is better, is the first question. And other are, either to use WP wiki-plugin or change to MediaWiki.

In my brief look at WP wiki-plugin (yada wiki)...
1) Requires to change WP's permalinks setting to Post Name (title) instead of content. Will affect the whole MX page.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mawjkUIPnnY
2) Uses standard WordPress categories and tags.
3) Same login for for both website editors and wiki user contributor.
4) I assume Yada-wiki has limited markaup/shortcode, designed for WP plugin
https://www.webtng.com/yada-wiki-documentation

MediaWiki
1) Separate web system
2) Markup language known by many and good documentation
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Formatting
3) Few theme/skin to match MX website. So far I found Erudite
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Skin:Erudite

more themes
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:All_skins

MX Wiki Test (be free to edit and addon, later I will close the open permission).
https://amurt-amurtel.eu/wikitest

1st question..... do MX need a wiki based site? How will it be different form current knowledge base/data base wiki?

Jerry3904
Administrator

#12 Post by Jerry3904 »

Thanks, that's useful. What do you want testers to do with that wikitest site?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

manyroads

#13 Post by manyroads »

Jerry3904 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:19 am Thanks, that's useful. What do you want testers to do with that wikitest site?
You need to move the wiki off the production machine in order to build a clean one, without disturbing current users or the current site. Items that the tools help identify (and I'd add Broken Links checker to rasat's list) automate making certain every link and page works as they should.

The biggest challenges are:
1. What pages do get moved to the new Wiki? Is the wiki effort moving all previous MX version(s) materials or is the 'charter' to build an up-to-date and current wiki including only current version and version independent materials?
2. How will the wiki team, if they are new to MX, be able to make the above choices "accurately". It seems to me the dev team needs to determine if the Wiki is an exact duplicate of the old wiki with new stuff added; or, if it is a nice, new, current Wiki. (You can tell my bias.)
3. Who will proof the quality of the wiki content? Where and how will the requuisite edits be made? It seems to me that this effort must be done off-line on a test bed site, rather than causing information to jump around on the main production platform. BUT, that does not answer the question of who is qualified to determine the goodness/ accuracy of data. So again, I assume the dev team will get the final vote, which means there needs to be an approval process.
4. If the wiki is to be a feed for version documentation like the manual, how does the dev team want that to happen? Yada Wiki offers and entire subsystem that will build a doc et from the wiki (auto-magically).

FWIW those are a few of my thoughts. :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

rasat

#14 Post by rasat »

Jerry3904 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:19 am Thanks, that's useful. What do you want testers to do with that wikitest site?
At present its a sandbox for users to test MediaWiki. No login, simply click Edit in the right column, edit current page or add new page [[My page]], and Save. Note: red color link is a empty page.

Thanks manyroads, there are questions if there is a plan for MX Wiki. At this beginning state, it could be for specific technical information such as Apache/MySQL, remote desktop, or other useful info by any forum user.

I just did few tests by adding few tutorial info pages.
https://amurt-amurtel.eu/wikitest/index ... troduction

For my own curiosity, is to test later the Dynamic Page Link extension. Works fine in MediaWiki version 1.29, not sure in version 1.32.
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extensio ... cPageList3

What will be decided, as said earlier, I am ready to help (not to lead).

skidoo

#15 Post by skidoo »

single sign-on (forum+wiki) would facilitate contributor participation.
The author of the yada wiki component, mentioned by rasat, describes use of a separate "Advanced Access Manager" WP plugin to handle permissions, so that logged in members can edit wiki but cannot author "WP posts" webtng.com/allowing-site-members-create-wiki-content/

manyroads asked "Who will proof the quality of the wiki content?"
Consider: Who proofs the quality of forum posts -vs- how seldom have "quality adjustments" (intervention by moderator) been merited? In a single sign-on scenario where every member with 5+ forum posts is also a wiki moderator collaborator, it seems reasonable to expect that quality assurance will not be burdensome.

manyroads

#16 Post by manyroads »

Caveat, my opinions are simply mine. I carry no weight in this discussion or any decisions. :cool:

Having said that I have run a very informal analysis of the wiki here's how things look to me. Personally, I would stick with WordPress based tools (no MediaWiki). Given that bias...

Using webhtttrack, I made a copy of the MXLinux Wiki. I used a WordPress (WP) plugin to move the copied html files onto my Website Development server for analysis (https://www.eirenicon.com/). The files are no longer online; I have deleted them because they are not really usable. There are too many errors resulting from this form of transfer mechanism. Any offline work on the Wiki would only be possible, with a WP Export of the files (inherent Wordpress function) to a working platform.

There are 488 files including 13 directories in the wiki. The vast majority of files are Comments. There are tons (highly technical unit of measure) of images as well.

To be honest the best way the following tasks can be accomplished is with the following...

Task.............................................Required Support/ tool
Check for broken links.........................Broken Link Checker plugin (free)
Identify Content for retention...............Dev Team? Huge manual effort and communication.
Validate Content...............................Knowledgeable reviewer(s); also a huge manual process.
Allow Competent Users Wiki Access .......Wiki Plugin (recommend Yada Wiki; free) will allow single-user sign-on
Multi-lingual Wiki Support....................To do it the right way requires a
....................................................WP plugin and a manual translation of
....................................................each page; a Google translate (or
....................................................similar plugin- free) may be used as
....................................................an automated 'inferior' alternative

Back under my rock I go. :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Jerry3904
Administrator

#17 Post by Jerry3904 »

All this sounds just...well, wonderful! But I myself am not interested in going down this road ATM. I just received my first email notification of a comment posted to a Wiki post that has my name on it--already a big improvement from the old site. On my Wiki To-Do list are a zillion content-oriented items ahead of anything like this that are much more important to users.

OOTH: if manyroads and others want to build a Proof of Concept built with single-sign-on, easy integration with WordPress and without requiring support from peregrine whose plate is already full--then go for it! When appropriate the Dev Team could be invited to evaluate it.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

manyroads

#18 Post by manyroads »

Jerry3904 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:51 pm OOTH: if manyroads and others want to build a Proof of Concept built with single-sign-on, easy integration with WordPress and without requiring support from peregrine whose plate is already full--then go for it! When appropriate the Dev Team could be invited to evaluate it.
I can say, for my part, I am perfectly happy to work on my Genealogy Podcasts. I may build a Wiki on ManyRoads in the near future. Any ManyRoads Wiki will be an SSO WordPress based version providing Genealogy Research Help. When that happens, I'll let folks here know and they can see how these things can work on WP. ;) :number1:
Pax vobiscum,

rasat

#19 Post by rasat »

This is a good thread showing the two wiki possibilities (WP wiki-plugin and MW) or stay with current MX wiki. For MediaWiki it would have been to manually copy and paste from MX wiki pages to MW, to get the pages to look well. Lot of work but informative. Here is a wiki page sample from Manjaro Wiki.
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=About_Manjaro

@manyroads, keep up with your good work.

manyroads

#20 Post by manyroads »

rasat wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:48 pm This is a good thread showing the two wiki possibilities (WP wiki-plugin and MW) or stay with current MX wiki. For MediaWiki it would have been to manually copy and paste from MX wiki pages to MW, to get the pages to look well. Lot of work but informative. Here is a wiki page sample from Manjaro Wiki.
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=About_Manjaro

@manyroads, keep up with your good work.
Thank you @rasat. You are very kind.
Pax vobiscum,

Return to “Website”