[solved] Is there a dark theme for this forum?

Forum for discussion and implementation of project work to enhance mxlinux.org and other MX Websites
handy

[solved] Is there a dark theme for this forum?

#1 Post by handy »

Just checking if there is something I'm missing?

If there isn't I suppose there could exist a Stylish mod for the forum?

I haven't investigated whether Stylish is available for Vivaldi, I'll just check...

Stylish is available for Vivaldi (via the Chrome webstore), but there seems to be no user styles available for this site. Which is unfortunate for those of us who's eyes find brightness uncomfortable. :(
Last edited by handy on Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

richb
Administrator

Re: Is there a dark theme for this forum?

#2 Post by richb »

We chose a style that is compatible with both the general forum software and the extensions we have added. We do not have user settable styles. That is something we can consider with the next Forum software upgrade.
There are extensions for Google Chrome and I assume Firefox that will implement a dark style for your browser globally.
In my own case I dim the overall screen brightness in the mornings and evenings when ambient light is low and brighten it during daylight hours.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

handy

#3 Post by handy »

OK, thanks @richb, now I know... ;)
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

wulf

#4 Post by wulf »

There is also an app called Iris mini which is free and maybe worth checking-out. It sits in the panel and lets you make a couple of adjustments for daytime and night-time reading by right clicking on it..

fehlix
Developer

#5 Post by fehlix »

Within palemoon, basilisk, waterfox and firefox I’m happely using “Advanced Night Mode” and “Dark Background an Light Text” adjustable extensions , resp., to read this forum. :blindfold:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

paul1149

#6 Post by paul1149 »

There are a couple of things you can do.

First, Vivaldi has a "Reader View", which can be configured to "Dark Mode". It works quite well. You will find it in the popup "<>" menu in the Statusbar, and it can be assigned to a hotkey. I found the RV's dark mode too high contrast, but there are two ways to deal with that. You can make changes in a vivaldi file (you can find out which one at the vivaldi forums, it was recently discussed), or you can write a style sheet, as I have, that works off the particular "readability" tags that RV uses.

Secondly, you can use a style sheet for this site. Do a search at userstyles.org for 'phpbb', which makes this forum software, and then assign it to this site. I found and like 'phpbb -dark blue, simple', but then I added my own changes to it. This is a better solution because you won't have to toggle Reader View each time you visit, and you can use the CSS for other phpbb sites.

Lastly, I highly recommend Stylus instead of Stylish. Stylish was bought out, and I didn't like where it was going. I also found Stylus to be both more simple and more powerful. And yes, both work on Vivaldi.
Selection_01.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MX-19-KDE x64, on Ryzen 5, 16GB RAM, SSD. Nvidia graphics.

handy

#7 Post by handy »

Thanks all for your feedback on this topic. I was just coming back here to post that I've found a good add-on called Dark Reader its in the Chrome web store. I've not been using it long, but it seems to do a pretty good job, it is easily configurable & you can quickly add a site to your white list, if it has its own dark theme by default.

Anyway, I reckon I'll mark this one solved. :)

Caesar2

Re: [solved] Is there a dark theme for this forum?

#8 Post by Caesar2 »

In Terminal

Code: Select all

xgamma -gamma 1.0
Adjust the number. I use 0.5 for dark and 1.5 for bright.
[><]

Return to “Website”