Important alerts ... email distribution

Forum for discussion and implementation of project work to enhance mxlinux.org and other MX Websites
KBD

Re: Important alerts ... email distribution

#31 Post by KBD »

Jerry3904 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:34 pm That kernel update has been removed, and will disappear as soon as the repo being used syncs up.
Thanks Jerry!
I know in the past I could not run updates on a couple of MX machines because the keyring needed updating:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install antix-archive-keyring
sudo apt-get update
I'm just thinking out loud, but if we run into a serious update problem in the future couldn't a new keyring be issued to prevent updates? That would pretty much automatically bring users to the forum and they would then see the warning. A new key could be issued with instructions when it's safe to update again. Just a thought, maybe there is a better way to do it, but stopping updates before something breaks in that situation seems better than users breaking things then having to fix it.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#32 Post by Jerry3904 »

Let's get this solved first, then turn to future questions--thanks.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

kmathern
Developer

#33 Post by kmathern »

KBD wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:14 pm I'm just thinking out loud, but if we run into a serious update problem in the future couldn't a new keyring be issued to prevent updates? That would pretty much automatically bring users to the forum and they would then see the warning. A new key could be issued with instructions when it's safe to update again. Just a thought, maybe there is a better way to do it, but stopping updates before something breaks in that situation seems better than users breaking things then having to fix it.
I'd rather not mess with keyrings, gpg keys, etc. or do anything with that interferes with updating of the apt repos, that's fragile enough as it is already imo. Instead I would rather have MX Updater monitor some other channel / source for update warnings. If it finds that there's a warning it could add the warning to the upgrade preview window, or maybe just show the warning instead of a preview of the upgrade(s). Maybe also display a different icon in the systray/notification area while a update warning is in effect.

antiX-Dave
Developer

#34 Post by antiX-Dave »

So are we suggesting a message system something like this?
Perhaps even simpler where the script reads for a 401 vs 200 http code on a particular file?

file named apt-get-safe in /usr/local/bin

#!/bin/bash
wget http://repo.antixlinux.com/check -O /tmp/check &> /dev/null
if grep "unsafe" /tmp/check &> /dev/null
then
    echo "Repo is known by the dev team to be unsafe, please consult the forum for details"
    echo "Do you wish to continue? (Y/N)"
    read ans
    case $ans in
    y|Y) apt-get $@ ;;
    n|N) exit ;;
    esac
else
    apt-get $@;
fi

/root/.bashrc containing line

alias apt-get="apt-get-safe"
And likewise for the apt command?

kmathern
Developer

#35 Post by kmathern »

antiX-Dave wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:01 pm So are we suggesting a message system something like this? ...
Yes, I think something like that might work (maybe also include aptitude and Synaptic), and you'd still be able to use apt-get/apt if you really wanted to.

ludolph

#36 Post by ludolph »

Very constructive discussion ... :number1:

So, we will wait for future developments ...

colin_b

#37 Post by colin_b »

I was just blankly staring at the wall when a simple solution to this problem popped out of the ether and into my head. I think it's worth a mention - better late than never. ;)

Why not use MXPI to give messages to users when something crops up which they absolutely need to know?

Example:

MXPI icon displays in red > user clicks MXPI > displayed at top of MXPI (examples):

An urgent issue has arisen. Please see forum post [url].

or

There is a zero day issue with [program]. Please update software ASAP.

Return to “Website”