-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

LinuxTracker hacked

This forum is for co-ordination of torrents for MEPIS releases
namida12
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: LinuxTracker hacked

#31 Post by namida12 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:05 am

kesuda wrote:
namida12 wrote:More Torrent Question for Mepis: from the "Get Mepis" webpage http://www.mepis.org/mirrors there are two torrent sites listed

JR

I had no idea the second site existed much less the fact it was mentioned by MEPIS.org until you pointed that out. I got poking around and there doesn't seem to be much activity. Not just the fact that the 11.0.12 isn't listed, but I tried starting downloads from the 8.0.15_32 and 8.5.03_rel32. Said there were 3 peers, but no seeders. Then tried a couple of other distros to see how they were doing. DSL and ubuntu started downloads, but not aptosid, chakra, Fedora, nor gentoo, so it seems kind of "hit or miss". In the meantime, with the problems that occur at LinuxTracker from time to time I had wondered if we shouldn't announce at more then one tracker. If I'm remembering correctly; previous discussions brought up the fact that we should not list at a tracker that has copyright-violation material in it's listings. OSST torrents listed looks to be very linux/BSD oriented. As it's mentioned by MEPIS.org already maybe this could be a second tracker for us to list at?
I did not know this torrent site exisited either, and I have been seeding both the 32 & 64 bit versions of 11.00 and it has about the same activity in 5 hours as linuxtracker untill i checked a few mintes ago, and now on the 9hour of seeding I am getting and error for both the 32 & 64-bit versions:

Code: Select all

osst.co.uk: Error: Connection timed out
Just checking the "Get Mepis" page I can not get the link to work, and trying to visit http://www.osst.co.uk/ can not get that website to open... Apparently everything has gone down as far as I can determine, or my ISP was blocking access to the website, in their malignant understanding that torrents are only for illegal downloads...

Edit: Running again started last night, 11.00 uploading activity is about the same as linuxtracker's 11.0.12. This is great news as i am seeing a bit more than twice the leacher activity...

JR
Last edited by namida12 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kesuda

#32 Post by kesuda » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:08 pm

I've tried adding OSST as a second tracker to the 8.0.15s and 8.5.03s I've got running. Seems as though it's worked but I haven't seen any traffic on them. I'll leave them up a bit to see how they do.

Dieselrider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#33 Post by Dieselrider » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:52 pm

How many trackers are out there? Is there just the one or are there more and if so where do you find them?

namida12
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#34 Post by namida12 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:43 pm

Dieselrider wrote:How many trackers are out there? Is there just the one or are there more and if so where do you find them?

Dieselrider,

There are a great number of trackers websites. (Google is your friend)

But there are numerous websites that try to pretend they are trackers (Also sometimes the music or movie industry organizations ). They try to encourage you to download their torrent software (that will almost always phone home about video or Mp3 files you have in your windows system, or spawn other malicious windows exe Malware files).

I believe it has been suggested numerous times not to post torrents, or seed outside of Linux friendly trackers.

Both Linixtracker and OSST are listed on the "Get Mepis" website...
http://www.mepis.org/mirrors

JR

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#35 Post by lucky9 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:38 am

I've never checked, but I would think that the torrents listed on DistroWatch.com would be reliable also. Might be the same even.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Return to “Torrent Team”