Can MX Boot Repair be used to fix other distros?  [Solved]

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
CyberGhost

Can MX Boot Repair be used to fix other distros?

#1 Post by CyberGhost »

Hi I was wondering can MX Boot Repair be used to fix other distros bootloader or only MX? I mean like if you booted MX in live mode with a USB flash drive on another distro?

Adrian
Developer

Re: Can MX Boot Repair be used to fix other distros?  [Solved]

#2 Post by Adrian »

I think it would work if the distro uses GRUB (I mean there are many other options for boot loaders), it runs pretty vanilla commands like grub-install and update-grub (I think these might be available as such only in Debian/Ubuntu family of distro, these are links that are missing in other distros). Also if you boot from ESP it might change the name of the entry to "MX-19"

richb
Administrator

Re: Can MX Boot Repair be used to fix other distros?

#3 Post by richb »

I just used grub-install to recover grub being overwritten by Kubuntu. It overwrites MX's grub every time I boot to it. (which is not often).

PS @Adrian
Thanks for reminding me of that command. I have been searching for it for a few days. Surprisingly, or not, it was not listed in any of the grub manuals I looked at.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Return to “General”