Do installed apps appear on the menu - anywhere?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Deke

Do installed apps appear on the menu - anywhere?

#1 Post by Deke »

System: Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-5-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3
Distro: MX-18.3_x64 Continuum May 26 2019

This is me, new to MX but, not Linux. I was a tester for Ultimate Edition for a while but, it has lost it's way as far as I'm concerned and have stumbled across MX. I must admit that at first glance it works well with all my kit on this laptop (I haven't tried it on others yet). All except my NVidia card. I am not going to bother trying the driver because it never works and leaves me needing to reinstall the system as the quickest resource to getting back the system. Anyways, I digress.
The WiFi 'works' at install. That's a bonus and something the Ubuntu team could learn from. I was on Ubuntu Mate followed by Lubuntu (which I have used very successfully in the past) but, both had no WiFi readyness at install and both lost my Windows from GRUB.
Unfortunately, GRUB has still not added a Windows menu entry but, it was detected at install so I have high hopes that a manual menu entry will do the job this time. I was using Linux Mint quite well before all this recent disaster but, both of my laptops would take an absolute age to reboot if I had them running non-stop for say a few days or more - I am doing a lot of work copying my dvd collection. Hence, another reason that I am now with MX. I have to laugh because I haven't installed and used either makeMKV not Handbrake yet. I wouldn't foresee any problems though.

Main reason I am here just now:-
I installed Google Chrome, apparently successfully from the 'Popular Apps' but, it is not showing in any menu.
Any ideas folks, have I missed something.
I have years of experience with Linux and without having to resort to finding how to place the app on a menu myself - I thought I'd ask you kind knowledgeable people first.

Thanks in advance.
Lenovo laptop Z50 i5-4210U UEFI (Legacy) Date: 2014
Display: x11 (NVidia drivers don't work)

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: Do installed apps appear on the menu - anywhere?

#2 Post by JayM »

Please run Quick System Info then just right-click/paste in a reply. No need to copy/paste, Quick System Info already copies it for you and pre-formats it for posting in the forum. Thanks.

Also, :welcome:
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Huckleberry Finn

#3 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

Deke wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:53 am Unfortunately, GRUB has still not added a Windows menu entry
Hi Deke, Welcome.

Just

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
when running on MX.. (That happened to another user last week, and solved ) :)

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#4 Post by dolphin_oracle »

As for chrome, .check to see if google-chrome actually installed.

apt-cache policy google-chrome-stable 
will tell

***edit*** edited to reflect m_frank's perfectly correct correction to the package name :happy:
Last edited by dolphin_oracle on Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

m_frank

#5 Post by m_frank »

$ apt-cache policy google-chrome
google-chrome:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: (none)
  Version table:
I think we need to do: apt-cache policy google-chrome-*

$ apt-cache policy google-chrome-*
google-chrome-unstable:
  Candidate: 78.0.3904.9-1
  Version table:
     78.0.3904.9-1 500
        500 http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb stable/main amd64 Packages
google-chrome-beta:
  Candidate: 77.0.3865.75-1
  Version table:
     77.0.3865.75-1 500
google-chrome-stable:
  Installed: 77.0.3865.75-1
  Candidate: 77.0.3865.75-1
  Version table:
 *** 77.0.3865.75-1 500
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
Or try: apt list google-chrome*

$ apt list google-chrome*
Listing... Done
google-chrome-beta/stable 77.0.3865.75-1 amd64
google-chrome-stable/stable,now 77.0.3865.75-1 amd64 [installed]
google-chrome-unstable/stable 78.0.3904.9-1 amd64
Also possible: apt search google-chrome

$ apt search google-chrome
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
google-chrome-beta/stable 77.0.3865.75-1 amd64
  The web browser from Google

google-chrome-stable/stable,now 77.0.3865.75-1 amd64 [installed]

google-chrome-unstable/stable 78.0.3904.9-1 amd64
MXPI installs google-chrome-stable

Package info -- Google Chrome
  Latest Google Chrome browser (stable)
  Packages to be installed: google-chrome-stable
LT: Dell 5566, Core i3-7100U, 6GB, 1.0TB HD, MX-19.1_x64/386
LT: Lenovo T500, Core2 Duo P8700, 4GB, 320GB HD, MX-19.1_x64/386
LT: HP DV6-1053cl, Core2 Duo P7450, 4GB, 320GB HD, MX-18.3_x64
DT: HP 500-281, Core i3-4130, 4GB, 1.0TB HD, MX-18.3_x64

Deke

#6 Post by Deke »

Thanks, I did search the forum but, had no results. Of course my search string may have been off...
I'll have a look when I get a moment. Busy trying to restore Windows entry in GRUB after Ubuntu Mate installer messed things up.
Lenovo laptop Z50 i5-4210U UEFI (Legacy) Date: 2014
Display: x11 (NVidia drivers don't work)

Stevo
Developer

#7 Post by Stevo »

To answer the question in the thread's title: yes, Chrome should appear in the "Internet" menu section once it's installed. Other programs are also supposed to appear, as long as they install a .desktop file in /usr/share/applications.

Huckleberry Finn

#8 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

Deke wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:22 pmafter Ubuntu Mate installer messed things up.
You can do that (update -grub) also on U. Mate .. (In fact, at where grub is installed currently)

Or use MX Tools => MX Boot Repair and choose which partition (MX or Ubuntu etc..) you like , grub to be installed on .

(In case MX Boot Repair displays an error, you can first "dd zero" "the first 446 bytes" only , then start MX Boot Repair again .. Then it won't say "there's already a newer version of Grub installed" or similar, and will just do what you say :) ..)

Return to “General”