Interesting changes at manjaro...

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
manyroads

Interesting changes at manjaro...

#1 Post by manyroads »

For those who follow manjaro, this post may be interesting. Quite a big 'next' step, methinks.

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-is- ... tep/102105
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

malspa

Re: Interesting changes at manjaro...

#2 Post by malspa »

Yes, definitely interesting.
2. A new established company, Manjaro GmbH & Co. KG, to enable full-time employment of maintainers and exploration of future commercial opportunities.
Is this something that folks here would want to see happen with MX?

manyroads

#3 Post by manyroads »

malspa wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:02 pm Yes, definitely interesting.
2. A new established company, Manjaro GmbH & Co. KG, to enable full-time employment of maintainers and exploration of future commercial opportunities.
Is this something that folks here would want to see happen with MX?
I certainly have no idea. :confused: :eek:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#4 Post by JayM »

It looks like not a big deal, they've just formed a legal entity so they can do things that they couldn't before, like pay their devs as FTEs (full-time employees); use donation money and other income to attend Linux events, which is great PR, rather than having to either travel at their own personal expense or not attend at all; sell Manjaro merchandise; enter into contracts and so on.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Richard

#5 Post by Richard »

Interesting.
It is a problem that sooner or later all successful distros may encounter.

How to assure continuity?
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

handy

#6 Post by handy »

I expect that the new (& separate) Manjaro company, has plans to work with partners on releasing hardware to consumers that run the Manjaro OS.

I wouldn't be surprised to see, apart from notebooks (there are options in that regard already I think, or at least there have been), a smart phone.

Which, if they can bring it in at an affordable price, it would be an incredibly popular product. At least in the *nix user world, inititally, & moreso as time goes by, due to an ever growing number of people in the world becoming aware of their loss of privacy.

As usual, time will tell...
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

asqwerth
Developer

#7 Post by asqwerth »

handy wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:03 am ...
I wouldn't be surprised to see, ... a smart phone. ...
Yes, everyone's in a tizzy over that phone in the photo accompanying the announcement!

Manjaro_Company_Phone.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

KoO

#8 Post by KoO »

handy wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:03 am Which, if they can bring it in at an affordable price, it would be an incredibly popular product. At least in the *nix user world, initially, & more so as time goes by, due to an ever growing number of people in the world becoming aware of their loss of privacy.

As usual, time will tell...
With you 110% Great statement.
Tizzy is an under statement I,m vibrating over the idea just a little Freedom.
Main : MX 19.1-AHS (i3) 5.4.13-1~mx19+1, Asus B450-i AMD 5 3600 , 32gb Hyper-X 3200 , GTX970 . :linuxlove:
Lenovo T430 : Debian10 antiX17 (i3) , 4.20.12 , i5 , 12gb .
Lenovo X220 : Test Machine (ATM)

Return to “General”