MX on iMac?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
tyrotex

Re: MX on iMac?

#11 Post by tyrotex »

The boot command line would not accept the option xrdvr=radeon, which is the actual driver name as far as I can determine.
It would appear that the last time Radeon VR770 worked without mods was for kernel 3.13 (2014-era) - See https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=98046 .
I'm running the cli-installer now, but given the apparent incompatibility with current kernels, I don't really expect it to work.
It seems that I could run the machine as a server, with no GUI. But that would be rather wasteful on an iMac with a very nice 27" display :rolleyes:
So, unless anyone knows any differently, I think I'll give up on this project for now.
Thanks for reading. Hopefully, it might save someone else from spending their time chasing the MX rabbit down this particular hole.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#12 Post by JayM »

You could try installing the Debian 4.9 kernel on your live USB (on another computer) following the instructions here and see if it will boot normally on your iMac. It's worth a shot. (Maybe.)

If that doesn't work, try the newest 5.x kernel from the stable repo.
Last edited by JayM on Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

asqwerth
Developer

#13 Post by asqwerth »

I thought radeon has now been included by default in the more recent kernels, so you may not even need the bootcode?
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

fehlix
Developer

#14 Post by fehlix »

tyrotex wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:42 am The boot command line would not accept the option xrdvr=radeon, which is the actual driver name as far as I can determine.
Have you tried boot option xorg=safe , which shall give you a vesa video driver, so you could at least install.
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

truongtfg

#15 Post by truongtfg »

tyrotex wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:04 am Thanks for the suggestions @truongtfg.
As I mentioned in my earlier post, by using the Failsafe boot option (which includes nomodeset), I get further in the boot process.
My bad, somehow I missed that line you wrote 9_9 . BTW, you can wait for several days (or 1-2 weeks) for the Kernel 5.3 to be available in the repo (especially the liquorix kernel). I have heard that this version improves compatibility with some macbooks.

In the mean time, did you successfully install MX Linux, or are you still stuck at the live usb boot?

tyrotex

#16 Post by tyrotex »

Thanks for the suggestion and link @JayM. I'll try that when I have more time. From what I read, I believe that the problem is actually in the Debian kernel itself, so I'm not sure it will help.

Yes, @asqwerth, all the radeon-related stuff is included in the kernel & packages. Up until 14 months ago, it seems that the kernel code just doesn't work with this particular GPU (since kernel v3.13).

Thanks @fehlix. yes I tried using xorg=safe on the boot command line (after checking the wiki https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/boot-pa ... #X-Windows - linked from the manual as suggested by @truongtfg). Nada.

@truongtfg - No, I didn't manage to get a bootable install yet - I was installing to a large USB drive, rather than an HDD. I'll try the cli-installer again to an HDD partition soon.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance.

taseefa

#17 Post by taseefa »

I followed these instructions: https://www.lifewire.com/dual-boot-linu ... os-4125733
I have now MX 18 installed on my iMac (2008) alongside El Capitan and everything works (except the bluetooth Apple wireless keyboard). I kept my Mac partition in case needed, just shrinked it and now I have 250GB for MX and 250 for Mac. My iMac automatically boots on MX but if needed I can boot on Mac by holding the OPTION key while starting. Works perfectly for me.

seaken64

#18 Post by seaken64 »

Good news! Glad you got it working. Thanks for sharing.

Seaken64
MX21-64 XFCE & W11 on Lenovo 330S LT. MX21-KDE & MX21-XFCE on Live USB.
MX18-64 & W7, Fedora on HP Core2 DT
MX21-32 XFCE w/ MX-Fluxbox on P4HT DT w/ antiX21, SUSE Tumbleweed, Q4OS, WXP
antiX21 on Compaq PIII 1 Ghz DT, w/ Debian, MX18FB, W2K

tyrotex

#19 Post by tyrotex »

Well, I've had a frustrating couple of days trying to get some distro running on this GPU (Radeon HD 4850/RV770).

Because I thought the problem was in the Debian kernel, I tried various non-Debian Linux distros, like Arch, Knoppix & Fedora.
I even tried to get FreeBSD & OpenBSD to run - Boy! are they a pain to install compared with Linux.
I just couldn't get a GUI to work. It seemed that I was to be stuck on increasingly out-of-date macOS versions.

But, when I saw the post by @taseefa, I checked the link he included on Ubuntu. The main graphics-related point was the use of nomodeset, which I had already tried with my installs.
Given my experiences with those other distros, I had not bothered with Ubuntu, given its Debian heritage.
But then, with nothing to lose, I tried a Xubuntu 19.04 live image. Blow me down with a feather! It worked! (with nomodeset).
So, after installing on my HDD and working out how to pass 'nomodeset' through the rEFInd interface, it's all good. I now have at least one Linux that works on this aging system.

I would have preferred to use MX Linux, but the Xorg.0.log shows that the framebuffer driver was "(EE) Unable to find a valid framebuffer device", so no GUI.
OTOH, under Xubuntu, fbdevhw finds "(**) FBDEV(2): claimed PCI slot 1@0:0:0" and it all works.
It's weird, because xserver-xorg-video-fbdev is v1:0.5.0-1 on MX Linux and v1:.0.5.0-1ubunt on Xubuntu. I have no idea what the difference between them might be, unless ubuntu just does a better job than MX Linux at enumerating the hardware to pass to fbdev.

I'd still like to get MX running, if anybody has any ideas on how to do it.
But, for now, I'll just stick with a working Xubuntu.

tyrotex

#20 Post by tyrotex »

A brief update on my last post.

Fedora also works fine. Not sure why I couldn't get it to work on an earlier attempt.
Linux Mint also works. But then, it is an Ubuntu derivative.

If I can work out how to set up X-windows , I might try a manual configuration (specifying the hardware) on my MX Linux install.

Return to “General”