xfce 4.14 released

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
malspa

Re: xfce 4.14 released

#31 Post by malspa »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:40 am ToZ has put up an official guide for dealing with the problem:

https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=13233

It's also been discussed on the Arch Forums: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=248388 & https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=248526
Thanks very much for this post, and for all the other help in this thread regarding compositing issues. I've been using Xfce 4.14 in Buster and in Arch, and kinda checking out those threads at the Arch forums. I haven't been seeing problems here. So, it's a non-issue for those of us with Intel cards, is that correct?

asqwerth
Developer

#32 Post by asqwerth »

@malspa,

I have Intel cards and I don't have problems in Manjaro with xfce 4.14. I have one install with Compiz 0.9 series, and the other with Compiz Reloaded. No issue with either.

It just continued where it left off when I logged out in and in again.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

malspa

#33 Post by malspa »

OK, thanks!

dreamer

#34 Post by dreamer »

Packages installed without problems on MX. Nice packaging, Stevo. Maybe there was a problem with Xfce Screensaver packages which showed up as armhf. I will stick with Xfce 4.12 and then switch to LXQt or KDE.

Stevo
Developer

#35 Post by Stevo »

dreamer wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:01 pm Packages installed without problems on MX. Nice packaging, Stevo. Maybe there was a problem with Xfce Screensaver packages which showed up as armhf. I will stick with Xfce 4.12 and then switch to LXQt or KDE.
It may have been a hiccup on your connection to the OBS, because everyone else is getting the correct architecture for all the packages, and they all built correctly on the various releases: https://build.opensuse.org/project/show ... :xfce-4.14

Stevo
Developer

#36 Post by Stevo »

asqwerth wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:39 pm @Stevo, I note that the packages for xfce 4.14 you packaged for MX doesn't have the "About XFCE" information window.
Well, I'm stumped about that, unless the difference in the build procedure between Buster and Stretch for many of the packages I built made a difference. Debian has a step to rebuild the configure file with dh_autoreconf, which also takes place automatically with debhelper 10 or better, but many of the packages failed on Stretch with this, so I added a little code to those problem builds that detects if they are getting build on Stretch or MX Horizon and disables the autoreconf--that means they use the configure script the source ships with instead of a regenerated script.

asqwerth
Developer

#37 Post by asqwerth »

Stevo wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:23 pm
asqwerth wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:39 pm @Stevo, I note that the packages for xfce 4.14 you packaged for MX doesn't have the "About XFCE" information window.
Well, I'm stumped about that, unless the difference in the build procedure between Buster and Stretch for many of the packages I built made a difference. Debian has a step to rebuild the configure file with dh_autoreconf, which also takes place automatically with debhelper 10 or better, but many of the packages failed on Stretch with this, so I added a little code to those problem builds that detects if they are getting build on Stretch or MX Horizon and disables the autoreconf--that means they use the configure script the source ships with instead of a regenerated script.
It's not on the alpha3 either.
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)

Jerry3904
Administrator

#38 Post by Jerry3904 »

We've never had it, have we?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

asqwerth
Developer

#39 Post by asqwerth »

Hmm, you might be right about that.

It's just that I saw HOAS's screenshot a few posts up had the "About XFCE" window, and my Manjaro installs also have it. Then I checked my MX18 and alpha3 VMs and couldn't find that window.

I admit that I was thinking more in the realm of "bragging rights", as in showing off screenshots of Stretch-based MX17/18 with xfce 4.14 on it. :p

Otherwise, it's not really necessary. One could just have a screenshot of Thunar with its "about" window open to show the Thunar version, although I don't think it has the same effect.

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#40 Post by ChrisUK »

The about dialog is spawned by a package: xfce4-about. This isn't available for Debian AFAIK - only Arch and Redhat based.
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

Return to “General”