What are your favorite sports to watch - and why

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
j2mcgreg
Global Moderator

Re: What are your favorite sports to watch - and why

#21 Post by j2mcgreg »

LU344928 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:49 am
jackdanielsesq wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:18 am 5-day cricket ..... not
Many decades ago it used to be longer, until a result was achieved, even if it took 10 or 11 days.

Hence, why did the English invent cricket?

Because they're not a particularly religious lot so the game of cricket gave them some idea of the concept of eternity.
No that's not it. Ever read the rules? Whoever invented this sport definitely put the "O" in o.c.d.
HP 15; ryzen 3 5300U APU; 500 Gb SSD; 8GB ram
Aspire V5-571; CPU Intel I3; 500 GB SSD; Intel 2nd Gen Graphics; 8 GB Ram
Aspire XC-866; i3-9100; UHD 630; 8 GB ram; 1TB HDD

In Linux, newer isn't always better. The best solution is the one that works.

LU344928

#22 Post by LU344928 »

j2mcgreg wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:53 pm No that's not it. Ever read the rules? Whoever invented this sport definitely put the "O" in o.c.d.
While there is some controversy over its origins the general consensus of opinion is that it 'may' have come from south-east England.

But whoever presented that little q&a (can't recall where I heard it) was just poking fun at the English.
As in certain cults it is possible to kill a process if you know its true name.
-- Ken Thompson and Dennis M. Ritchie

Old Giza

#23 Post by Old Giza »

No worries, cricket isn't even a sport.
Russia's sports ministry has refused to include cricket on its register of officially recognised sports.

The order was issued on 15 July - the day after England's dramatic Cricket World Cup final win over New Zealand.

Among the sports officially recognised in Russia are petanque, draughts and mini-golf.
I once went to a cricket match when very young. Had no idea what was going on, and still can't get the scoring even after making several attempts to read the rules.

ychaouche

#24 Post by ychaouche »

I prefer amateur level rather than pro, especially boxing, because it makes you realize how hard and technical it is. When you're only used to watch the pros, you think it's easy and natural, because every move they do is perfect or near perfection. Also, amateur level is much more fun when one team or player is way better than their opponent. It becomes a "show" :)

seaken64

#25 Post by seaken64 »

First the why - I am a former athlete and competitor. I loved the competition and the effort it took to get better. I loved to win but even more I loved the effort and the fight to control my mind and body. I never did drugs but I imagine that sports done at a high level must be as euphoric. It was for me.

When I was young I was always looking for a competitive game. If there was no takers I would run and try to best myself, or lift weights, or play tennis against a wall or basketball on a hoop.

I like to play sports more than watch. But as I've aged I play less. But I still watch. I like watching if I see effort and competition. I switch it off if I detect apathy or self interest.

Secondly, what I watch:

Baseball (Yankee fan since early teens in Seattle. Now live in New York so it's now a good fit. Also like to root for the Mariners but often disappointed)

Basketball (Still play once in awhile. Knicks fan, again often disappointed. Liberty fan)

Tennis - Will watch almost any match. Was a Jonny Mac (John McEnroe) fan when young - now like the big four and Serena. Still play.

Golf - Mostly watch the majors. Still play.

Football (North American grid-iron style) - New York Giants fan. Washington Huskies fan. Former Seahawks and Bills fan.

Football (Called Soccer here in US) - Tottenham Spurs supporter. Like watching EPL matches. Also international tournaments. Also watch NY Red Bulls and NYCFC and Seattle Sounders in MLS. Also Follow USWNT.

Formula 1, Indycar, Sportscar (a little bit of Nascar occasionally)

Olympics - track and field, weight lifting, skiing, skating, archery, swimming, diving, water polo, hand ball, hockey, curling, crew rowing, etc.

Seaken64

Enjoyed watching The Open today. Congrats Lowry!
MX21-64 XFCE & W11 on Lenovo 330S LT. MX21-KDE & MX21-XFCE on Live USB.
MX18-64 & W7, Fedora on HP Core2 DT
MX21-32 XFCE w/ MX-Fluxbox on P4HT DT w/ antiX21, SUSE Tumbleweed, Q4OS, WXP
antiX21 on Compaq PIII 1 Ghz DT, w/ Debian, MX18FB, W2K

jackdanielsesq

#26 Post by jackdanielsesq »

Agreed xxx my partner and I set-up an
MRO facility in SG, and were invited to a country club to watch a cricket game - we passed, not
in that sweltering heat, but our hosts graciously insisted, say the English were in town, promised
an exciting, entertaining game and that the clubhouse had frigid A/C and very, very cold draft ..

We acquiesced and met out our hosts in the clubhouse, which was packed - suddenly there was a
loud roar and the medics ran onto the pitch with a stretcher, loaded up one of the poms who had
fainted from heat exposure ... this continued whilst the Singapore side simply clubbed the ball out
of the grounds - English didnt even bother to chase the ball after a while ...... the game still sucks

Regards

Jack

Old Giza wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:05 pm No worries, cricket isn't even a sport.
Russia's sports ministry has refused to include cricket on its register of officially recognised sports.

The order was issued on 15 July - the day after England's dramatic Cricket World Cup final win over New Zealand.

Among the sports officially recognised in Russia are petanque, draughts and mini-golf.
I once went to a cricket match when very young. Had no idea what was going on, and still can't get the scoring even after making several attempts to read the rules.

LU344928

#27 Post by LU344928 »

Old Giza wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:05 pm No worries, cricket isn't even a sport.

When I first saw that I thought, oh they've disregarded it because it's only played at the professional level in ten or so nations, nearly all of them former British colonies. But that's not the reason. Maybe next year's reappraisal will put it in better stead.

LU344928

#28 Post by LU344928 »

jackdanielsesq wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:44 pm the game still sucks
It's definitely an acquired taste.

Return to “General”