Librem 5 smartphone (Q3 2019)

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Davo

Re: Librem 5 smartphone (Q3 2019)

#11 Post by Davo »

xali wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:32 pm what are your thoughts about this one?
It's another effort to deliver full Linux on a smartphone, the Pine 64 stuff.Also another effort in the pipeline too, the Nx stuff.. All good. Much lower-specc'd though, like the Allwinner SoC/SoM and the Mali graphics core and tiny ram stuff is the Pine64. like 2GB ram versus 32 GB.

Pine64 a bit more happy about full KDE involvement, Librem 5 went very fast from being initially quite happy with KDE plasma mobile to then just fully focused on in-house Gnome stuff and libs (most in-house kernel hackers came from Gnome stuff). Whatever works though.
I don't really care too much, as as long as the phone is fully free and fully Linux, then I can do as I want with it (except load about 10+ million playstore apps, haha). Can dock it though, with USB 3.1, can run full-scale *nix stuff on it too. Can scale it. Do almost anything with it.

I will run the Librem 5 with full Linux, but not with the pre-shipped PureOS and absolutely not with only all-Gnome libs, however integrated. Either use full KDE plasma mobile instead or else help out in it being made usable. Or else run it another way.
The KDE folks from Berlin will no doubt find a good way here. If the hardware works and is very friendly with *nix, then only small steps to really hack KDE stuff in. Boot mainline kernels 5.3+ and then who cares. Highly nice mid-range specs to then work with.

I presume that the recent media blitz on the Librem 5 means almost ready for launch, mainline kernel 5.2 (at absolute minimum) almost confirmed too. They probably did pre-order about 10k units (having sold about 2k units in the crowd-funding cycle)
and then gaining about another 3k units worth of added sales cq funding in the normal slow-sales next 18 months. Last month, has probably been mostly about stock management stuff. They maybe don't wanna hit market with tons of unsold units ie ca 50% stock.
Best to be very conservative here and to carry a very small and tight hold-back, say no more than 2k units max. 2 distrib channels here, like South SF USA and Berlin EU. Plus Tokyo city. Word-of-mouth sales then only. I do like to carry minimum stock then and to look to
leverage interest only if fully established in the very niche market. Will be loads of criticism to be expected in general media like too low-spec for the dollar price-point. The priceless angle though is to have a full mainline Linux kernel to fully boot and to boot any and every Linux ootb.
Very easy to then do an added after-market order for say another 10k units, if very positive feedback. Could however be very difficult to ship leftover stock, if bitten by terrible feedback. The pain of any start-up, like getting stock units just right. I do presume that they did gamble on a full
production run of 10k units in Guangzhou (for the thus healthy 5% discount available versus a 5k run). To just run the crowd-funded 2k production run in Guangzhou would have cost maybe 40% more per unit. Then you do have to really hard-sell these units though.
Would be a total all-in gamble to hit market, with 50% of inventory fully dependent on positive reviews. Can fully identify here. If they did hit market with 5m+ dollars in stock and then got badly burnt, bad news for everyone. Company possibly bust or else close to it.
Would far rather see a healthy company continuing to operate nicely in the more premium end of the Linux niche market-space, than one rushing to market carrying excess stock on-board. I'd guess they'd want 20% unsold stock at launch to play with
...and then rush to meet excess demand, rather than get burned in market.

I'd like KDE to boot on both and it will 100% too ...and if it somehow does not ootb, then we will make it work anyways, so long the hardware is friendly to *nix. Pine64 also quite nice too and very purse friendly at about 150 dollars, so will also try it too with various KDE boots plus PostmarketOS.
PS the main Czech kernel hacker has also been pushing (and acking in) tons of kernel commits from Librem 5 and from KDE too. Should be hitting market fairly soon. Enormous #'s commits hitting Gnome too and the kind of hidden and non-public KDE mobile branch as well. Have good hopes here.
Paid my dollars already and over 18 months ago, should fairly soon become fact. Linux on a phone and no Android cripple-ware would be very nice to have. Same issue as always with Linux and maybe not usable enough ootb, compared to the mega-bucks outfits. I really don't care though.

LU344928

#12 Post by LU344928 »

KoO wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:31 am
Hear to that if you are using your mobile phone while walking across the street anywhere even at the lights we will now be fined. I could go about this country for ages but I like not living in jail..
Australia used to be the place to be Not Any More.
I'm watching this closely and am scratching my head wondering how they can, say, demand overseas companies turn over customer's communications when, if E2E is used, a given, those companies wouldn't be able to read it in the first place. So presumably the law would then kick in and attempt to force them to alter their software to allow access. But offshore companies, particularly the privacy focused ones in the EU, are not under Australian jurisdiction so are not subject to Australian law. What could the govt do about it? Ban these companies? Impose draconian fines or even imprisonment on Australians who continue to use these services? Shades of Russia banning Tor Browser. The mind boggles.

These govt agencies say it's primarily about 'national security' and 'protecting' the citizenry from the 'terrorist' boogieman but as Glenn Greenwald, the journalist at The Guardian who published the Snowden revelations, points out, it's really about identifying dissenters and gathering as much info on them and their associates as possible. This is what the KGB and the East German Stasi used to do.

Still, I like to think it's not all doom and gloom. Some are fighting back:

https://www.efa.org.au/
https://internetfreedomhack.org/
https://hackforprivacy.org/
https://robindoherty.com/
As in certain cults it is possible to kill a process if you know its true name.
-- Ken Thompson and Dennis M. Ritchie

Buck Fankers

#13 Post by Buck Fankers »

I have high hope. They made a while back pinebook that was underpowered and more for kids. But they have a product. Then right now it is coming out new, pretty decent pinebook pro. For the price it is a good deal. So they are producing and moving forward.

I can hardly wait to see what will happen later this year with pinephone and pinetablet, both priced very cheap!

jackdanielsesq

#14 Post by jackdanielsesq »

Too little, too late ... as Linux is free, the big-bucks price tag must presumably be for hardware?

Only Apple gets those high prices for their premium h/w - those times might be history for now.
Everybody is building some sort of 'free' O/S these days, so I dont see a bright future for them.

Even FB is looking into other ventures, to justify its unicorn stock market valuations, and future
earnings - its smarter, cheaper to fly to a mutual meeting place, sign the deal without any leaks.

Besides what data is so important, y'all need to hide it, plus one starts running into cross-border
issues that are a whole new legal nightmare ... plus, the Federales always get their man. :bawling:

Besides, all one needs is wifi, voip and a $3 buck mic to talk to anybody anywhere - no handset
even required ..... simply an IC in one of those 3rd world dumps .... these cats missed the boat

Regards

Jack
Davo wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:27 pm
It's another effort to deliver full Linux on a smartphone, the Pine 64 stuff.Also another effort in the pipeline too, the Nx stuff.. All good. Much lower-specc'd though, like the Allwinner SoC/SoM and the Mali graphics core and tiny ram stuff is the Pine64. like 2GB ram versus 32 GB................. see a healthy company continuing to operate nicely in the more premium end of the Linux niche market-space, than one rushing to market cathough.

xali

#15 Post by xali »

jackdanielsesq wrote:Besides what data is so important
i think many people, including me, would say... my data
jackdanielsesq wrote:plus one starts running into cross-border
issues that are a whole new legal nightmare ... plus, the Federales always get their man. :bawling:
what cross border issues? what federales? what legal nightmare?
i think you are talking about something i have no idea about, in a specific country, right?

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#16 Post by Eadwine Rose »

This thread is now closed pending moderator discussion.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Return to “General”