Samba auto connects to devices like Ubuntu

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
jeffbush

Samba auto connects to devices like Ubuntu

#1 Post by jeffbush »

I'm wondering if Samba could auto connects to devices like Ubuntu does out of the box? Without creating a samba share? If i use Ubuntu to modify a Hosts configuration file on my Chromebox all i have to do is type the password of e.g Kodi and that's it. If i want to do the same with MX Linux..... what an hassle.

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Samba auto connects to devices like Ubuntu

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

I saw that point raised on Facebook this morning. We will certainly look into it as MX-19 development proceeds.

Thanks.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

jeffbush

#3 Post by jeffbush »

Thank you. The printer could also connects driverlessly too. No need to configure it. It could be another great improvment. Many thanks to the Dev team.

asqwerth
Developer

#4 Post by asqwerth »

jeffbush wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:01 pm Thank you. The printer could also connects driverlessly too. No need to configure it....
Surely that would be hard to implement for every single printer manufacturer and so many models?

Anyway I won't derail this samba thread.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#5 Post by chrispop99 »

asqwerth wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:27 am
jeffbush wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:01 pm Thank you. The printer could also connects driverlessly too. No need to configure it....
Surely that would be hard to implement for every single printer manufacturer and so many models?
Very much so, but the first time you start the 'Add printer' dialogue, and see your printer is already there, is quite exciting.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Return to “General”