The "Tiny Panel Bar" thread

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
manyroads

Re: The "Tiny Panel Bar" thread

#11 Post by manyroads »

handy wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:22 pm [...]

For anyone interested, there are a number of screenshots of my Tint2 panel on top of some of the Worker file manager config' screens. This is the layout that I was using some years ago, on Manjaro. I use the same general thing now on my machines with various changes that different distro's & BSD's have bought along:
[...]
@handy I am playing in the same general space trying to build two computing 'studios'. Generally I believe that I am able to use either bspwm or spectrwm or i3 to achieve what you describe in your manjaro post. I'd like to use antiX as the base but antiX makes it very hard to keep the distro functional with all the emebbed dependencies to slim. Many tools break as superfluous wms and their traces are removed. Pretty ugly. The other problem is that for podcasting, at least, Debian repos do a pretty poor job of keeping current; so, it looks like flatpaks and appimages become essential application delivery tools. I may end up back on manjaro or vanilla arch for these setups because the arch ecos is more easily customized and tweaked.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

skidoo

#12 Post by skidoo »

antiX makes it very hard to keep the distro functional with all the emebbed dependencies to slim.
The quoted assertion is untrue.
For the third or fourth time this week (refer to recent topics at antixforum.com), I'm explaining:

Within the SLiM configuration, you may assign your choice of login_cmd=

In the default antiX configuration, the specified login_cmd is "desktop-session" ( /usr/local/bin/desktop-session )

All of the "embedded dependencies" that Mark insists on attributing to SLiM, are actually attributable to "desktop-session".

As can be seen in the recent antixforum topic opened by macondo, regarding ratpoison, "keeping the distro functional" clearly does not hinge on the presence of SLiM (SLiM, or any other graphical login manager). Regardless of antiX or Manjaro, choosing to forego use of a login manager (one which performs session authentication) brings consequences.

This:
hard to keep the distro functional with all the embedded dependencies to "desktop-session"
should be self-evident
~~ it provides the functionality which comprises what, at the desktop level, makes antiX, antiX

manyroads

#13 Post by manyroads »

skidoo wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:22 pm
antiX makes it very hard to keep the distro functional with all the emebbed dependencies to slim.
The quoted assertion is untrue.
For the third or fourth time this week (refer to recent topics at antixforum.com), I'm explaining:

Within the SLiM configuration, you may assign your choice of login_cmd=

In the default antiX configuration, the specified login_cmd is "desktop-session" ( /usr/local/bin/desktop-session )

[...]
I will see if I can follow your guidance and make things work... for me. :happy:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Return to “General”