I think Debian is about to get even more popular

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: I think Debian is about to get even more popular

#31 Post by JayM »

We will put in place a community process to determine which 32-bit packages are needed to support legacy software, and can add to that list post-release if we miss something that is needed.
Translation: "We can't be arsed to do any work ourselves and will leave it to the users, and if we break anyone's games we'll fix it later when we get around to it. Meanwhile, tough bananas."
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

KBD

#32 Post by KBD »

JayM wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:05 pm

Translation: "We can't be arsed to do any work ourselves and will leave it to the users, and if we break anyone's games we'll fix it later when we get around to it. Meanwhile, tough bananas."
That's the impression I got as well. They obviously don't want to do this, but can't afford to lose market share right before they launch their IPO.

Artim

#33 Post by Artim »

It's kinda sad, really. Ubuntu gained such a huge following by being Linux for Human Beings® and Linux for the rest of us, ordinary desktop users without the "mad geek skillz" that were always associated with alternative OSes. They did what Mepis did, only with billions of dollars to promote it.

Now it looks like they're leaving the desktop to others ("flavors" and derivatives) and moving on to more profitable things.

KBD

#34 Post by KBD »

Interesting statement:
The Linux landscape has changed dramatically since we released the initial version of Steam for Linux, and as such, we are re-thinking how we want to approach distribution support going forward. There are several distributions on the market today that offer a great gaming desktop experience such as Arch Linux, Manjaro, Pop!_OS, Fedora, and many others. We'll be working closer with many more distribution maintainers in the future. If you're working on such a distribution and don't feel your project has a direct line of contact with us, by all means, have a representative reach out directly.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/d ... 447625383/

It sounds like they had been talking to Ubuntu before Ubuntu dropped 32 bit application support, yet Ubuntu did it anyway, caught much flack from the community, and then Ubuntu changed their minds. Steam is for the present time and perhaps near future supported on Ubuntu again, but clearly Steam is not happy with Ubuntu and is looking now at other distros long term. At least that seems to be the gist of where things are right now.

Return to “General”