Microsoft would like to bring Edge to Linux

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
handy

Re: Microsoft would like to bring Edge to Linux

#31 Post by handy »

That damned cloud is behind so many things that are a happening... :(
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

srq2625

#32 Post by srq2625 »

manyroads wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:39 am My 6 year old grandson is always amazed that old films are in B&W... and that they no longer teach that type of writing no one can read. ;)
Virginia stopped teaching cursive writing for a year or two. The state recently announced that the teaching of cursive would resume in the next school year.

My daughter-in-law was a little bummed when that announcement came out - now she'll no longer have a "secret" means of communication!
AsusTek PRIME B450-Plus
AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8-Core, 16 threads)
Radeon HD 6570/7570/8550 / R5 230
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 - driver: r8169
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
DDR4 3200MHz CL16 2x8GB

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#33 Post by JayM »

AK-47 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:48 am There used to be a huge abundance in search engines back in the day. You had AltaVista, Yahoo, Ask Jeeves, etc, even before Google was started. Now that Google has a monopoly (although there is StartPage.com and a handful of others, ultimately relying on Google's results) they can make the results as crappy ast they like.
Just being the best at what you do and/or the most popular vs. your competition doesn't constitute being a monopoly. The fact that Google's search engine does have competing search engines that people are free to choose to use means by definition that they aren't a monopoly.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#34 Post by JayM »

manyroads wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:39 am My 6 year old grandson is always amazed that old films are in B&W... and that they no longer teach that type of writing no one can read. ;)
Oh, go on, tell him the truth: the world was black and white back when those films were made.
:happy:

If there's a chapter of the Telephone Pioneers of America near you and if they have a museum of some sort, take him there and watch him learn about rotary-dial phones, crossbar and stepping switches, and all things wonderful back in the days before the Internet and the cell phone network.

And if you can find any ham radio operators near you, especially those who still operate on HF (high frequency, 3MHz to 30MHz), contact them and arrange to have them demonstrate to your grandson how they can talk to people on the other side of the world. Just keep an eye out for great big antenna towers in peoples' back yards then knock on their door: hams are a friendly bunch in my experience, and always happy to show off their shacks and rigs.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

KBD

#35 Post by KBD »

srq2625 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:32 am
Virginia stopped teaching cursive writing for a year or two. The state recently announced that the teaching of cursive would resume in the next school year.

My daughter-in-law was a little bummed when that announcement came out - now she'll no longer have a "secret" means of communication!
I switched schools in grade school. The one I had been going to taught cursive writing in 3rd grade, but the one I moved to had taught it in 2nd grade. I remember taking a book with cursive writing in it up to my teacher and asking her what it was. I hated cursive writing and almost never use it now beyond signing my name. I can see why they want to drop it.
But back to the topic--I hope MS makes a browser that is as good or better than Chrome if for no other reason than we need more serious competition. And it might not be a bad idea if they make an awesome browser that works well on Linux. Right now Chrome is flawless on Linux, but I have occasional issues and uneven experiences on Firefox across Linux distros. More competition could be a good thing.

j2mcgreg
Global Moderator

#36 Post by j2mcgreg »

JayM wrote:
Just being the best at what you do and/or the most popular vs. your competition doesn't constitute being a monopoly. The fact that Google's search engine does have competing search engines that people are free to choose to use means by definition that they aren't a monopoly.
You can say the same thing about Microsoft, but for all other intents and purposes they are. The higher courts in most free countries tend to consider the intent of a law over it's exact legal wording.
HP 15; ryzen 3 5300U APU; 500 Gb SSD; 8GB ram
Aspire V5-571; CPU Intel I3; 500 GB SSD; Intel 2nd Gen Graphics; 8 GB Ram
Aspire XC-866; i3-9100; UHD 630; 8 GB ram; 1TB HDD

In Linux, newer isn't always better. The best solution is the one that works.

KBD

#37 Post by KBD »

More info about the Chromium-based Edge browser
https://www.zenesys.com/blog/microsoft- ... s-answered

smilliken

#38 Post by smilliken »

Microsoft needs to do something in the browser world. Edge is just awful and a degradation from IE IMO. IE is the choice of my employer due to OS versions installed on the computers. Although we are in the process of upgrading to Win 10!

FF had been my go to for a number of years has it seemed to do everything I needed it to do. But lately, I been forced to use Chrome do to the platforms that use it for their webinars. I'm still not a fan of Chrome, don't like the way they deal with bookmarks or menus. I only have it installed to deal with the webinars, basically. Recently I installed Opera and feel in love with it. The speed dial and bookmarks is much better than what Chrome offers. Opera appears to have its limitations, webinars don't like it even with some of the extensions.

Open to a good browser.
There is no "Ctrl+Z" in life!
Asus X570, Rysen 3600, 32 GB RAM MX-21
Acer 7551G MX-21 & Win 10
Asus i5, 16 GB RAM MX-21 & Win 10
Brother DCP-7065DN/HL-L3270CDW
Linux User# 4523410

rc racer

#39 Post by rc racer »

richb wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:37 am There currently are Linux Chrome based browsers. So why not.
That is true and it is a good question but from what I hear Edge has not been a good web browser. I wouldn't know because I quit using windows before it came out. Most likely having a Linux version of Edge could only improve it.
Dell Dimension E520
Memory 4GB
1 TB Hard Drive
Graphic AMD [ AMD/ATI ] caicos pro
[ Radeon HQ7450 ] (prog-ifoo [ VGA controller ]

Cskabas

#40 Post by Cskabas »

just tried to install the DEV channel of Edge... no luck
Life is too valuable to put into the neural networks of social media
T430 with Fedora 35 (5.16.5)

Return to “General”