Debian Buster

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
shiba

Debian Buster

#1 Post by shiba »

Since Buster is going to be released somewhat soon, I'm curious what the development team has planned for this.

How soon will a new MX release happen after Buster?
What is the usual process?
How can we as a community help with anything?

BitJam
Developer

Re: Debian Buster

#2 Post by BitJam »

I'm not speaking officially, maybe others have more to add or correct. AFAIK a release of antiX-19 using Buster is planned for this spring. We could certainly use help there with alpha and beta testing. The MX release usually follows the antiX release. Again there we can use help with alpha and beta testing. There is a lot over overlap between antiX and MX so you can almost consider antiX an early beta of MX (in some ways). Of course all of the XFCE stuff is unique to MX.

Generally, if we can get antiX out the door and in good shape in the spring then that makes the MX release easier. We usually need to stop most antiX work in the summer so if the antiX release gets delayed until the fall then that makes the release schedule tight and gruelling. My main concern now is getting antiX-19 out the door this spring.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

shiba

#3 Post by shiba »

BitJam wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:17 am We could certainly use help there with alpha and beta testing. The MX release usually follows the antiX release.
Great, I'll look for the antiX release and try on my asus notebook. It seems to have some unique hardware issues that I can test against.

I found one of runwithdolpin's videos discussing some of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3n9SEpa_L0

rasat

#4 Post by rasat »

I am running Buster since January, didn't come across any problem with the common packages. Debian did/does excellent job upgrading them and dependencies every day. The change from Stretch to Buster is not "automatic", must be done manually which are quite easy steps.

manyroads

#5 Post by manyroads »

BitJam wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:17 am [...] We could certainly use help there with alpha and beta testing. [...]
If you want help from an old cranky guy... I'm happy to function as a "loose nut on the keyboard" (aka a tester). :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

thatsjm4u

#6 Post by thatsjm4u »

rasat wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:28 am I am running Buster since January, didn't come across any problem with the common packages. Debian did/does excellent job upgrading them and dependencies every day. The change from Stretch to Buster is not "automatic", must be done manually which are quite easy steps.
    Can you please guide me to upgrading from MXLinux 18.
    which uses libc6 2.24 and i want to use libc6 2.28 which is required for Unreal Engine 4.

if you are using Debian then i'll wait for antiX or MXLinux Upgrade.

zorzi

#7 Post by zorzi »

thatsjm4u wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:32 am
      rasat wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:28 am I am running Buster since January, didn't come across any problem with the common packages. Debian did/does excellent job upgrading them and dependencies every day. The change from Stretch to Buster is not "automatic", must be done manually which are quite easy steps.
      Can you please guide me to upgrading from MXLinux 18.
      which uses libc6 2.24 and i want to use libc6 2.28 which is required for Unreal Engine 4.

if you are using Debian then i'll wait for antiX or MXLinux Upgrade.
      Upgrading Debian sources in MX18 is not recommended. It may break your system. Future MX 19 will be built on Debian Buster.

entropyfoe

#8 Post by entropyfoe »

Download the antiX 19 beta2!

I am running it in my testing partition on my main machine.
      I initially had sound problems, but reinstalled and avoided what were probably self inflicted mis-configurations.

But all is working now, very fast, and stable so far (uptime 2 days), lots of packages added, sleep mode works. I am running a 5.1.5 kernel, so all very new.

Check it out, if this is early indication of how buster and MX will be, it looks very promising.
      Asus PRIME X470-PRO
      AMD Ryzen 3600X (12 threads @ 3.8 GHz)
      32 Gig DDR4 3600 (Crucial CL 16)
      Nvidia GeForce GT 710
      Samsung 970 NVMe nvme0n1 P1-3=MX-23, P4=testing
      Samsung 980 NVMe =1TB Data, plus 2TB WD =backups
      on-board ethernet & sound

thatsjm4u

#9 Post by thatsjm4u »

Hey,
      did you know, when stable release rollout.

did you encounter with COMRESET failed errno = -32,
      I'm frequently getting this issue on MXLinux and after installation of Buster also,

manyroads

#10 Post by manyroads »

thatsjm4u wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:29 am Hey,
      did you know, when stable release rollout.

did you encounter with COMRESET failed errno = -32,
      I'm frequently getting this issue on MXLinux and after installation of Buster also,
      MX is not released to work with Buster yet... I think you might be on your own. :confused:
      Pax vobiscum,
      Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
      i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
      "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Return to “General”