xfce 4.14 update

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Artim

Re: xfce 4.14 update

#11 Post by Artim »

Xubuntu was the distro I always "ran home to" whenever a distro-hop disappointed me. Now MX is the distro I would run home to if I ever distro-hop again, but I remain a fan of Xubuntu and wish them only well. I will always be a Xubu fanboy.

"What's wrong with Ubuntu updates" is a whole 'nother subject, and I don't want to hijack this thread for that. But click the link in my signature for a few posts on why I say that even ordinary Ubu updates are dangerous... mostly because it's a newbie distro and newbies don't yet know how to selectively update to avoid the crazy Beta stuff that Ubu updates include.

Otter

#12 Post by Otter »

dreamer wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:24 pm :frown: Bad things:
Snaps are pushed everywhere
What do you mean by that? Are the default packages replaced with snap packages or snaps are recommended everywhere?

Ill try the live version today. Thanks for the feedback. :toast:

PS: I hate the fact that systemd is creeping slowly & steadily into the core Linux system.
:dancingman: Happy MX Linux User!

AK-47
Developer

#13 Post by AK-47 »

I see Xubuntu as a sort of "incubator" for the latest XFCE snapshot, to get it out there to users who want to test things out; hence they use the development snapshot instead of the stable release.
Missing Orage is a bit concerning, having discovered it recently in MX Linux, but hopefully there will be another calendar program, should it go missing from MX-19.

I always saw Linux as being a bit crazy with a kernel that supports more file systems than anyone will ever dream of using, but the other choice is Windows. Between spyware-infested Windows and systemd-infested Linux, it's a matter of choosing between the lesser of two evils.

Edit: forgot about the badly-designed Mac.
Last edited by AK-47 on Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#14 Post by chrispop99 »

AK-47 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:44 am I see Xubuntu as a sort of "incubator" for the latest XFCE snapshot, to get it out there to users who want to test things out; hence they use the development snapshot instead of the stable release.
Missing Orage is a bit concerning, having discovered it recently in MX Linux, but hopefully there will be another calendar program, should it go missing from MX-19.

I always saw Linux as being a bit crazy with a kernel that supports more file systems than anyone will ever dream of using, but the other choice is Windows. Between spyware-infested Windows and systemd-infested Linux, it's a matter of choosing between the lesser of two evils.
Orage is still available in Xubuntu 19.04; in fact I've just installed it!

It's just not included by default.

Chtis
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

AK-47
Developer

#15 Post by AK-47 »

This site states:
Orage and Quick Launcher, Gone!

Orage Calendar is no longer included. This decision comes following a team vote during the November community meeting.
Looking further they claim Debian no longer has it in their repo? edit: that's Quick Launcher that's gone. It's amazing what happens to your eyes after installing antiX 150 times during the week. 9_9
I guess I'll find out soon, I've downloaded the ISO just to check out the XFCE snapshot.

dreamer

#16 Post by dreamer »

Otter wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:12 am
What do you mean by that? Are the default packages replaced with snap packages or snaps are recommended everywhere?

I don't think Snaps are on the Xubuntu ISO-image. After the installation is done, Gnome Software Center is what you get. If you install packages from there, some of them will be Snaps. I noticed that VLC showed up both as Snap and deb packages. You have to read the "fine print" before installing to see where the package comes from.

My solution was to install Synaptic and then use Synaptic for all software needs. That way Snaps won't be installed.

Otter

#17 Post by Otter »

dreamer wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:39 pm
Otter wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:12 am

I don't think Snaps are on the Xubuntu ISO-image. After the installation is done, Gnome Software Center is what you get. If you install packages from there, some of them will be Snaps. I noticed that VLC showed up both as Snap and deb packages. You have to read the "fine print" before installing to see where the package comes from.

My solution was to install Synaptic and then use Synaptic for all software needs. That way Snaps won't be installed.
Thanks for the information. I always prefer to install using apt, so I guess no issues for me.
:dancingman: Happy MX Linux User!

Return to “General”