System Info suggestion for the forum

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
JayM
Qualified MX Guide

System Info suggestion for the forum

#1 Post by JayM »

A wee suggestion that may get more new posters to include their inxi -Fxrz info in their posts (or perhaps not, but...)

Reformat the text in "don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!" and follow it up by telling them how to do that, so it's something like:
don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts (run Start menu/MX Tools/Quick System Info, which will gather technical information about your computer system, format the output for the forum and copy it to your clipboard: just paste it into your post!)
(size=120)

The existing text tells people to add system info but it doesn't tell them how, and the manual is incorrect when it says "Click Start Menu/Quick System Info" as it's actually under the MX Tools category. Red bold text will catch peoples' eye moreso than black bold (maybe.)

Maybe, maybe, this will get more people giving their system information when they post asking for help. (Though as my mother used to say, "May bees don't fly in April" (or whatever month it happened to be.)
Last edited by JayM on Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Gordon Cooper

Re: System Info suggestion for the forum

#2 Post by Gordon Cooper »

The manual is not incorrect. Click Start Menu/Quick System Info works OK for me. Usually Select All when using the Menu. Think it is a fairly recent addition to the
MX Tools.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#3 Post by JayM »

Gordon Cooper wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:28 pm The manual is not incorrect. Click Start Menu/Quick System Info works OK for me. Usually Select All when using the Menu. Think it is a fairly recent addition to the
MX Tools.
Then that would be Start Menu/All/Quick System Info (or Start Menu and type "quick" into the search field.) A total newbie may have trouble finding it by following the literal instructions in the manual so I think it may be helpful to also include very brief instructions at the top of the forum as well.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

cyrilus31

#4 Post by cyrilus31 »

There should be a giant splash screen when people register for the first time :eek: (maybe that's the case)

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#5 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Nah.. a pop up every time someone hits the submit button: have you copied your quick system info??

;) :laugh:
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

richb
Administrator

#6 Post by richb »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:58 am Nah.. a pop up every time someone hits the submit button: have you copied your quick system info??

;) :laugh:
Yeah, I would find that very annoying.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#7 Post by Eadwine Rose »

*giggle* hence the ;) I was obviously joking.

Some things we just have to accept.. we can put reminders everywhere, there will always be people who won't look.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#8 Post by JayM »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:27 am *giggle* hence the ;) I was obviously joking.

Some things we just have to accept.. we can put reminders everywhere, there will always be people who won't look.
That's true, there will always be people who are so caught up in the problem they're having that they won't stop to read things in their rush to ask for help. There's not much that can be done about that other than perhaps forcing the New Topic button in the help boards to use a template rather than allowing free-style posts, which I think might also be off-putting, somewhat annoying and a bit unfriendly.

I was just thinking that if the reminder was in larger red text to make it stand out and included some brief instructions for how to do what people were being asked to do, that might improve things a bit.

richb
Administrator

#9 Post by richb »

1. The announcement to post system info in the banner is no more important than the other announcements.
2. Short announcements with links to more information is more appropriate for the banner and has been our policy to avoid a banner that takes up too much real estate.

EDIT: I can specifically link the phrase "system and hardware information" to a post that details the procedure. It currently is in the "Please read this first" link along with a lot of other information.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Return to “General”