GTK themer creates scalable GTK3 themes

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
dreamer

GTK themer creates scalable GTK3 themes

#1 Post by dreamer »

I noticed that GTK themer paulxfce (he has been active on this forum) has created themes called Nextwaita and Flexium for Gnome. They are interesting because he states:
A major (personal) achievement is the creation of a gradually scalable version of Nextwaita.

By using 'Gnome-Tweaks/Fonts/Scalable factor' you can change the scale of the interface:

Setting this scale to 0.92 (for example) will scale the theme down to a level suitable for low resolution screens.
Setting the scale to 1.35 (for example) will scale the theme up to a level suitable for high resolution-screens.

This theme will change its buttons, radio-and checkbuttons, sliders, switches, and general padding accordingly.
While gnome already tries to scale, this theme does it better. This is done by using (relative) REM in some places instead of (fixed) pixels.
I haven't tried those themes because they are made for Gnome. They use the font DPI value so they should work (as far as I know) in any GTK3 environment.

https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1289376/

https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1293734/

Since GTK developers don't intend to bring fractional GTK3 scaling to X.org, maybe themers can make it work?

I feel tempted to boot into MATE and see if it works there, but it may have to wait until tomorrow.

asqwerth
Developer

Re: GTK themer creates scalable GTK3 themes

#2 Post by asqwerth »

dreamer wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:07 pm I noticed that GTK themer paulxfce (he has been active on this forum) has created themes called Nextwaita and Flexium for Gnome. They are interesting because he states:

I haven't tried those themes because they are made for Gnome. They use the font DPI value so they should work (as far as I know) in any GTK3 environment.
Depends what version of gtk3 the themes were made to work for. If it's for the latest gtk3 version, they may or may not be compatible with stretch's gtk 3.22.

But it sounds interesting and I might try them on my Arch based distro that just got updated to gnome 3.32 last night. Breaking all gnome shell extensions in the process. Grrrrr.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

dreamer

#3 Post by dreamer »

I tried both themes in MATE. They worked as advertised. They probably work in Xfce too, but only with GTK3 applications of course. It's just themes so the icons are unaffected. Anyway, these themes are a nice workaround for fractional scaling in GTK3.

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

That means they should also work fine in Cinnamon, too.

dreamer

#5 Post by dreamer »

Yes, just make sure to select the "lowest" versions he offers, because otherwise Stretch gtk compatibility might be a problem. I think he'll gradually improve these themes. Radiobuttons were a little pixelated, but I think he fixed it for the newest Gnome.

Return to “General”