SparkleShare, a Git-based Dropbox Replacement

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
manyroads

SparkleShare, a Git-based Dropbox Replacement

#1 Post by manyroads »

Does anyone have experience with this product?

To quote from the article:
"SparkleShare creates a folder on your hard drive. From there you can link remote folders on GitHub or GitLab and anytime a change is made, it will be synced up automatically. Currently, SparkleShare supports GitHub, GitLab, BitBucket, Planio, or your own git server."
https://itsfoss.com/sparkleshare/
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Adrian
Developer

Re: SparkleShare, a Git-based Dropbox Replacement

#2 Post by Adrian »

Haven't try it but it sounds a bit strange using git for such purpose. I actually moved away from Dropbox and how I use Syncthing, syncing everything to one Raspberry Pi that runs all the time, this way I have my own "cloud". It has some advantages and disadvantages...

skidoo

#3 Post by skidoo »

manyroads, we've mentioned the "alternativeto.net" site in previous posts (slant.co is another, in case it hasn't been mentioned)
and I would encourage you to "think thrice, consider other alternatives, and your exact/specific needs".

You can find (browse/search) plenty of from-the-trenches user reviews of Sparkleshare and similar here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/selfhosted

Kruppt

#4 Post by Kruppt »

You may want to check out git-annex assistant (git-annex)
It should be available in the deb/mx repos.

https://git-annex.branchable.com/

https://git-annex.branchable.com/videos/

manyroads

#5 Post by manyroads »

skidoo wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:34 pm manyroads, we've mentioned the "alternativeto.net" site in previous posts (slant.co is another, in case it hasn't been mentioned)
and I would encourage you to "think thrice, consider other alternatives, and your exact/specific needs".
Yes, I use alternativeto.net regularly and sadly I dislike slant.co so avoid it. I just found the concept of using git surprising and was curious if anyone here was exploring this. Right now, I am moving a lot of my genealogical data (100s of GB) on to archive.org. They are reliable and free; I, also, assume they will outlive me (a good thing for an open genealogy source archive). As you might imagine, those archives are not terribly volatile. I add to them infrequently. Dropbox and those of its ilk are better used for more dynamic data files.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Return to “General”