Soon you can have a Windows subscription

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
KBD

Soon you can have a Windows subscription

#1 Post by KBD »

Last edited by KBD on Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mauser

Re: Soon you can have the 'joy' of a Windows subscription

#2 Post by Mauser »

:rofl: Edited :rofl: Edited :rolleyes: Edited :hitmyhead: Edited.
Last edited by Mauser on Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

KBD

#3 Post by KBD »

I strongly suspect regular 'free' users will beta version guinea pigs so they can charge a monthly fee for the more stable (for Windows that is) subscription version. Nothing like paying for Windows twice--once with the original computer Windows tax, then for, life...?

richb
Administrator

#4 Post by richb »

Mod note
Please moderate your comments. From our Forum Rules.
You can talk about other distros here (talk or discuss, not bash for any reason)
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Eggnog

#5 Post by Eggnog »

I seem to recall, back when Win 10 was new and beginning to replace Win 7, that Microsoft denied Win 10 would become a subscription service. Now here we are. I suspect that users will be able to subscribe to the "deluxe" version or use the "pleb" version. I have to think it will be much like "free" online games where you only get so much, or can only go so far, until you need to subscribe for the good stuff. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

figueroa

#6 Post by figueroa »

You can talk about other distros here (talk or discuss, not bash for any reason)
Oh, oh. Are we considering "Windows" a distro in this context? If so, I'm surely toast!
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

Mauser

#7 Post by Mauser »

figueroa wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:12 am
Oh, oh. Are we considering "Windows" a distro in this context? If so, I'm surely toast!
:rofl: Me to. I guess I will have to edit my post.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Pierre

#8 Post by Pierre »

either way - SaaS & DaaS are still coming:
- like a Train that you can see in the distance,
this Model was fairly obvious, and potentially, will drive ( encourage ) more to shift to the Linux Platform.

personally, I've already helped a couple of folks, who had issues in the renewal of their office-365 subscription,
& where that renewal was not as straight-forward as it should / could have been.
:(

KBD

#9 Post by KBD »

Eggnog wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:53 am I seem to recall, back when Win 10 was new and beginning to replace Win 7, that Microsoft denied Win 10 would become a subscription service. Now here we are. I suspect that users will be able to subscribe to the "deluxe" version or use the "pleb" version. I have to think it will be much like "free" online games where you only get so much, or can only go so far, until you need to subscribe for the good stuff. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Another thought crosses my mind--or an ad-version! MS is already pushing ads into Windows 10. It could get worse if you don't pay their subscription. They are already doing that with Outlook mail online.
Last edited by KBD on Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

KBD

#10 Post by KBD »

Pierre wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:46 am either way - SaaS & DaaS are still coming:
- like a Train that you can see in the distance,
this Model was fairly obvious, and potentially, will drive ( encourage ) more to shift to the Linux Platform.

personally, I've already helped a couple of folks, who had issues in the renewal of their office-365 subscription,
& where that renewal was not as straight-forward as it should / could have been.
:(
Yes. Just as their Win10 users are growing, they give even more good reasons to push users to something else. Good for us, bad for them.

Return to “General”