MX and Devuan?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
malspa

Re: MX and Devuan?

#41 Post by malspa »

Adrian wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:01 pmI suggest people who have strong opinions about systemd use Devuan instead of trying to make other distros go into the same trap.
Excellent suggestion.
asqwerth wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:32 amI don't install non-systemd distros then seek to install Gnome on them, and then get upset if some systemd-related package gets pulled in.
Makes sense.

I do think that a Devuan base might attract quite a few more users, but personally if I was trying to avoid systemd I'd probably install Devuan itself instead.

As for GNOME, I do like using it sometimes (I have GNOME in one of my Debian installations), but I've never tried to add it in MX, or even in Mepis, back in the day (before systemd). That has never seemed like a good idea to me. Like, I wouldn't add GNOME or Xfce to my Kubuntu installation, even though they're available in the repos.

Interesting discussion. Like the OP, I had been wondering if antiX and MX might end up going with a Devuan base. Sounds like that won't be happening, and for good reasons.

Buck Fankers

#42 Post by Buck Fankers »

I'm glad that this topic, question was started, I have learned a lot and now I like antiX/MX even more ;-)
Last edited by Buck Fankers on Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

manyroads

#43 Post by manyroads »

By way of adding a bit of context to my perspective and/or reason for my original question/ inquiry...

* I have been testing systemd free distros (because there seems to be a religious war going on around the issue of systemd). I wanted to see if I could understand what all the fuss is/was about (without the strong opinion and emotion). To that end, I have tried and run Artix, antiX, Devuan...
* Prior to that, I had been testing and experimenting with XFCE4 dominant distros (which is how I came to be here). As many of you have noticed, I like this distro a lot, especially because of its MX tools. I, also, find these forums incredibly helpful.
* As I learned about MX & antiX, I noticed mention of a unique 'middle-ground' approach in dealing with systemd.
* I thought I could benefit by testing Devuan (its primary DE being xfce4 and it heavily claims its systemd independence and Debian heritage). To be honest, I was/am a bit 'underwhelmed' by their xfce4 setup.

Given that background and my interest in helping test the next release here, I thought I'd ask if consideration had been given by MX in offering Devuan as a foundational OS option, in the next release- much like what LinuxMint does with Ubuntu & Debian.

By way of answering comments, questions or issues regarding my background, as distinct from my parentage, anyone interested may read about those topics here:
* http://pep-inc.com (primary business)
* http://eirenion.org (secondary business)
* my parentage is enumerated here http://many-roads.com :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Jerry3904
Administrator

#44 Post by Jerry3904 »

Your question was good; not so certain about some of the answers...
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Adrian
Developer

#45 Post by Adrian »

Jerry3904 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:56 am Your question was good; not so certain about some of the answers...
42?

Buck Fankers

#46 Post by Buck Fankers »

Adrian wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:03 am
Jerry3904 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:56 am Your question was good; not so certain about some of the answers...
42?
42!
Last edited by Buck Fankers on Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#47 Post by Jerry3904 »

I don't know what Adrian meant with that, but I thought your response was fine.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#48 Post by ChrisUK »

Jerry3904 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:34 pm I don't know what Adrian meant with that, but I thought your response was fine.
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/42_(answer)

;)
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

Adrian
Developer

#49 Post by Adrian »

Now that we know he answer to life, the universe and everything, the question remains: why are people so touchy?

manyroads

#50 Post by manyroads »

@adrian Maybe that answer is also 42?!?!?
@buck fankers, I thought your response was helpful and constructive. It was in perfect keeping with "Life, the Universe and Everything" :snoopy2:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Return to “General”