duel booting and Install ?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
rc racer

duel booting and Install ?

#1 Post by rc racer »

When I first switched to Linux, I had a friend who knows something about Linux, do an install with Linux Mint along side Windows 10. If I remember right the duel boot worked ok until windows upgraded automatically and I lost the Grub. I came to the decision to just reinstall Mint. Now I have found that I really like MX Horizon 17.1, probably better, but i still want to keep up with Linux mint. So I want to do two things. I want to upgrade My linux mint 18 to Linux mint 19 and I want to install MX 17.1. The questions I have since I am not considering a duel boot with windows is does it matter if I install Linux Mint first or MX 17? Will installing one ahead of the other effect the Grub. I am doing the duel boot on my own this time and want to be sure I do it right.
Dell Dimension E520
Memory 4GB
1 TB Hard Drive
Graphic AMD [ AMD/ATI ] caicos pro
[ Radeon HQ7450 ] (prog-ifoo [ VGA controller ]

fehlix
Developer

Re: duel booting and Install ?

#2 Post by fehlix »

The last installed Grub is the controlling Grub and shall also have menu-entries for booting into other installed OS's.
So it doesn't matter if you install first Mint and than MX. You can always reinstall from with either Mint or MX
to have the Grub from this OS become the controlling grub.

EDIT: On MBR/MSDOS / legacy BIOS systems you have only one controlling Grub.
On UEFI system you can have per OS one (or more) menu-entries within the UEFI-Boot menu
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

rc racer

#3 Post by rc racer »

I am sure my pc is to old for the UEFI system so I will have only one controlling Grub. I understand this to mean if I install MX 17 first then that will be the Grub that controls which operating system I can boot into. Correct?
Dell Dimension E520
Memory 4GB
1 TB Hard Drive

fehlix
Developer

#4 Post by fehlix »

rc racer wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:02 pm I am sure my pc is to old for the UEFI system so I will have only one controlling Grub. I understand this to mean if I install MX 17 first then that will be the Grub that controls which operating system I can boot into. Correct?
Yes, you will see one Grub-menu fro MX Linux together with menuentries for Linux Mint and WinOS.
In the rare case if menu entries are missing, e.g for Windows.
You simply regenerate the menu-entries for Grub by running this from
the terminal command line within the installed Linux system:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub

rc racer

#5 Post by rc racer »

Thanks for the sudo command, "just in case" and for your help.
Dell Dimension E520
Memory 4GB
1 TB Hard Drive

fehlix
Developer

#6 Post by fehlix »

rc racer wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:20 pm Thanks for the sudo command, "just in case" and for your help.
Here another one, just in case:
Say you have installed MX Linux , which now provides the "controlling" Grub,
and later you upgraded Linux Mint, which might take over Grub,
and Linux Mint has now the "controlling" grub.
Say further you have one hard disk drive "/dev/sda", where all you partitions are.
You can now make MX Linux have the controlling Grub back by,
selecting the MX Linux menu-entry (from Mint's Grub menu) and booting
into MX Linux and run this:

Code: Select all

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
The next time you boot, you will find MX Linux as the first menu entry,
as MX Linux is now the "controller" of the Grub menu.
:puppy:

Return to “General”