Linux programmers opposed to new Code of Conduct threaten to pull code from project

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
clicktician

Re: Linux programmers opposed to new Code of Conduct threaten to pull code from project

#11 Post by clicktician »

I've been asking devs at my office about this, and the noise about un-contributing code doesn't concern them. It's theater. But most of them have had an unexpected response. They asked me "why do you want to know if I accept the code?"

I work for a Fortune 50 company that contributes code to Linux Foundation member projects. As these conduct codes inevitably spread throughout the open source world, if you as a developer, cannot contribute code because you don't accept the code of conduct, then you have a career problem.

Is it even possible for a corporation like Microsoft to accept the conduct guidelines? To me, they seem to describe only personal behavior. But corporations are large contributors of source code.
Son, someday all this will belong to your ex wife.

richb
Administrator

Re: Linux programmers opposed to new Code of Conduct threaten to pull code from project

#12 Post by richb »

Adrian wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:24 pm
Mauser wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:19 pm This is politics. I thought politics are not allowed on the forum.
I don't think discussing the kernel license is "politics" if it is then everything is.
Agree. This is not political.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

PondLife

#13 Post by PondLife »

Linus Torvalds was interviewed by the BBC a few days back on his decision to temporarily step aside, the controversy behind the CoC, and the Linux community.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45664640

Mauser

#14 Post by Mauser »

PondLife wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:57 am Linus Torvalds was interviewed by the BBC a few days back on his decision to temporarily step aside, the controversy behind the CoC, and the Linux community.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45664640
As I stated earlier. I don't believe any of these posts on the Internet about Linus Torvalds since they have no video of Linus Torvalds saying any of this. This is just hearsay.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Adrian
Developer

#15 Post by Adrian »

This is just hearsay.
This is not how journalism works. If BBC would attribute wrong quotes to him they would be in big trouble.

Mauser

#16 Post by Mauser »

Adrian wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:16 pm
This is just hearsay.
This is not how journalism works. If BBC would attribute wrong quotes to him they would be in big trouble.
I guess you never heard of Fake News.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

anticapitalista
Developer

#17 Post by anticapitalista »

Mauser wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:34 pm
This is just hearsay.
Can you prove it is fake?
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Mauser

#18 Post by Mauser »

anticapitalista wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:42 pm
Mauser wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:34 pm
Can you prove it is fake?
Can you prove it's not Fake?

anticapitalista
Developer

#19 Post by anticapitalista »

The onus is on YOU to prove it is fake since you make the claim.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

PondLife

#20 Post by PondLife »

Mauser your barking up the wrong tree when it comes to the BBC, as Adrian said they would be in a whole heap of trouble if they had made up the interview, as they are a public funded company through a TV licence fee, regulated by an independent body called The Office of Communications (Ofcom) plus there are plenty of rival TV news channels who do not like the public funding model and would jump at the chance to bring them down.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/insid ... -bbc-board
Last edited by PondLife on Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”