Transfer Windows 8 installation to a new drive

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
dreamer

Re: Transfer Windows 8 installation to a new drive

#21 Post by dreamer »

Make sure Windows 8 is properly shut down before you try to clone it. Disable Fast Start (it's a hibernation mode) in Power Management settings (choose-what-these-buttons-do-dialog) in Control Panel.

sunrat

#22 Post by sunrat »

fehlix wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:46 amIIRC, PartedMagic integrates clonezilla (at least) into it's offering for cloning, besides lot's of other very usefull tools.
Very good toolset-box live linux distro, highly recommended!
It is good but it costs ~50 bucks. Not worth it if you just want to use Clonezilla occasionally.
This reminds me to remember, why not just run clonezilla from our latest MX17.1_September-ISO
And perhaps we might think about adding latest clonezilla under Popular Apps within MX Package installer ;)
Clonezilla would be a valuable default addition to MX. MX automounts USB drives though so that has to be worked around as Clonezilla works with unmounted drives.
baldyeti wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:37 am I have used it in the past to transfer WinXP(or Win7) to bigger disks, and it worked perfectly, even fixing the (NT) bootloader.
Does that still work with WIn8/10 and possibly UEFI/GPT instead of BIOS/MBR partitioning, or does one need extra step(s) to get a working bootloader ?
The boot loader is included if you do a full disk clone.

Adrian
Developer

#23 Post by Adrian »

I do think you need to start the computer in UEFI mode though, otherwise there might be issues if you start it in legacy BIOS and you try to copy a UEFI/GPT Windows partition

fehlix
Developer

#24 Post by fehlix »

Adrian wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:04 am I do think you need to start the computer in UEFI mode though, otherwise there might be issues if you start it in legacy BIOS and you try to copy a UEFI/GPT Windows partition
Nope, clonezilla will clone any drive, regardless what boot-method was used to run clonezilla.
The drive needs to be unmounted anyway or can even be an external USB/eSATA plugged in drive.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

handy

#25 Post by handy »

I have copied a Win7 install, that was on a 1TB drive, to a 320GiB drive (both spinners), using Clonezilla. It was a while ago. I would have had to clone the individual partitions (likely shrink the largest one first of all) to be able to go from a larger drive to a smaller one with Clonezilla.

I remember that I had to download a "Win7 64bit Repair Disk" from MS, & run it so that I could boot into Windows. It was a tad nerve racking the first time I did the whole process with Windows, as I have no faith in MS products. But it worked! & I was very pleased with myself at the time. ;)

I've since cloned Win7 to a larger drive using Clonezilla - doing it whole drive to whole drive. I made sure that the system was tidy beforehand, though I've never bothered about deleting the Restore Points. It worked without a hitch. It doesn't take very long if you have your data (primarily Steam Games in my case) on a different drive. I limit Win7 on my Clevo, to 50GiB & it runs fine for my purposes.

I've also, more recently, had to cast a Win7 Clonezilla backup image back on to the same drive that it was taken from (SSD). Again, it worked without a hitch.

I've used Clonezilla on Macintosh machines, to put larger drives in (whole disk to disk) & to make backup images. Never a problem.

I love Clonezilla, it has been a very good friend to me for over a decade now... :number1:
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

m_pav
Developer

#26 Post by m_pav »

sunrat wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:19 am It is good but it costs ~50 bucks. Not worth it if you just want to use Clonezilla occasionally.
No it doesn't, $11 to download the most recent version, $49 to get a years worth of access.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Daily) Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSD, MX_ahs
(ManCave) AMD FX 6100 CPU, nVidia, 8Gb, 3.25TB mixed, MX_ahs
(Spare)2017 Macbook Air 7,2, 8GB, 256GB SSD, MX_ahs

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#27 Post by chrispop99 »

m_pav wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:22 am
sunrat wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:19 am It is good but it costs ~50 bucks. Not worth it if you just want to use Clonezilla occasionally.
No it doesn't, $11 to download the most recent version, $49 to get a years worth of access.
Worth every cent of that too, in my opinion.

It's a single-person project, and was free for years, but the developer and his wife both got made redundant at separate times, so charging for his efforts seemed reasonable.

He's a really nice guy; an earlier version had a tiny bug, which I reported to him, and he immediately refunded me although that wasn't the reason for my communication.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Return to “General”