What are Zello and Firechat, the apps people are downloading for Hurricane Florence?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
colin_b

What are Zello and Firechat, the apps people are downloading for Hurricane Florence?

#1 Post by colin_b »

https://www.newsobserver.com/latest-new ... 48820.html
Firechat works even without an internet or cell phone connection, making it useful for close, crowded areas where signal is weak or nonexistent, like disaster shelters. The app itself says it works in an area of around 200 feet. The app uses peer-to-peer Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to keep everyone’s phones connected, and it can be downloaded from the Google Play and iPhone app store.
Could be useful.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... chat&hl=en

xali

Re: What are Zello and Firechat, the apps people are downloading for Hurricane Florence?

#2 Post by xali »

thanks, colin_b. it seems very interesting

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

Re: What are Zello and Firechat, the apps people are downloading for Hurricane Florence?

#3 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Doesn't seem too reliable, given the firechat reviews
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

colin_b

#4 Post by colin_b »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:29 pm Doesn't seem too reliable, given the firechat reviews
I saw the app mentioned on a TV news broadcast and assumed it had been tested.

It's obvious I was wrong.

:bagoverhead:

catalinux

#5 Post by catalinux »

I had Firechat installed for a while during the February 2017 protests in my country. Someone suggested using it because the cellphone lines in the area would get really crowded since a lot of people (hundreds of thousands to be more precise) would start calling, messaging, or even sharing stuff on social media all at once. Orange and Telekom had to bring mobile relays so that the networks would be decongested.

The idea of creating some mesh networks using people's devices as relays is quite nice and useful when stuff gets too crowded, but on the surface Firechat seems only another internet chat app. I found no way to make it establish somewhat of a mesh network or what it advertised. I found there was some sort of accesibility setting on my device (using Android 6.0) but I couldn't test it since the protests had tempered down by then and there was no risk of getting the lines congested.

You could also check The Serval Mesh project if you are interested in this (if it is still up and running)
Acer Aspire One D260
Lately got a Lenovo V110-15ISK too

Return to “General”