How to send an 'E mail' - Database - 1984

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
turtlebay777

#1 Post by turtlebay777 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szdbKz5CyhA

Redacted

Re: How to send an 'E mail' - Database - 1984

#2 Post by Redacted »

What a wonderful "blast from the past".
I loved it when the announcer asked "Why did you buy a computer?"
Great stuff. Thanks!

kmathern
Developer

#3 Post by kmathern »

Even used a rotary dial type phone to call up the computer, I'm pretty sure I was using a touch-tone phone back then. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever owned a rotary dial phone, though we used one at my parents house while I was growing up in the 1960s & 70s.

Redacted

#4 Post by Redacted »

kmathern wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:06 pm Even used a rotary dial type phone to call up the computer, I'm pretty sure I was using a touch-tone phone back then. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever owned a rotary dial phone, though we used one at my parents house while I was growing up in the 1960s & 70s.
This got me wondering since I couldn't remember.
Wikipedia says that by 1979, push button phones were gaining in popularity, but in the 80s they were the majority.
Amazing changes in our world.

timkb4cq
Developer

#5 Post by timkb4cq »

The first 300 baud modems for the Commodore 64 were designed to plug into the earpiece jack of a Western Electric/Bell System phone so the phone's electronics would match the signal to the phone line.
The problem was that my touch tone phone at that time didn't have such a jack - it was hard-wired, and like most of that era still leased from the phone company. So I found an older rotary dial phone and wired the cable directly to that circuit on the other side of the hook switch so the modem could dial.
By the time their 1200 bps modems arrived Commodore had gotten regulatory approval for direct connection to the phone jack and I could retire that setup.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Adrian
Developer

#6 Post by Adrian »

I heard, not sure if correct that the modems that were coupling with the phones (audio style, not electric) was the result of the monopoly the phone company had and because they owned the equipment (phone and lines) and they didn't allow a direct electrical connections.

turtlebay777

#7 Post by turtlebay777 »

Redacted wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:15 pm Wikipedia says that by 1979........
Don't forget though that most Wikipedia articles are about USA rather than UK.

timkb4cq
Developer

#8 Post by timkb4cq »

Adrian wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:45 pm I heard, not sure if correct that the modems that were coupling with the phones (audio style, not electric) was the result of the monopoly the phone company had and because they owned the equipment (phone and lines) and they didn't allow a direct electrical connections.
True, but by 1984 when the first commodore modems arrived, Bell had been broken up and you could finally buy non-Bell telephones. Commodore just hadn't passed the compliance tests for direct connect to the phone lines. I don't know that they tried. It was easier to inject audio into the existing (bulky) matching transformer of a working phone than create circuitry to protect the modem from the unfiltered ~ 90 volt ring pulses on top of the 48 volt DC basic loop connection. I assume they then piggybacked on the new phone manufacturer's designs by the time the 1200 baud 1670 replaced the VICModem 1650/60.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Redacted

#9 Post by Redacted »

turtlebay777 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:36 pm Don't forget though that most Wikipedia articles are about USA rather than UK.
I was never really aware of that. Thanks.

Return to “General”