How do they know?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
xali

Re: How do they know?

#21 Post by xali »

i grow my own potatoes and the last 15 days or so, i am collecting my potatoes from my garden and i am tired with everything that has to do with potatoes. And then i read in mx forum about a potato conspiracy over linux users.
OH NO!!! no more potatoes... chrisuk how did you know it?
LOL

ps
you guys in northern europe (belgium, holland, england, germany etc) you are eating a lot of potatoes, if i am not mistaken. Your food is potatoes with this, potatoes with that... in belgium in almost every corner they sell fried potatoes. How can you eat potatoes all the time? don't you get bored of this?

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#22 Post by ChrisUK »

Thanks for the replies. Like most of my threads in numerous forums, this one goes more and more off-topic, but it's how I like it ;) Imagine you are having a conversion in a Bar or Restaurant - you start off talking about one thing, but you end up talking about many other things... that's how Humans seem to communicate/socialize.

I think I'd better reply to one:
xali wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:55 am i grow my own potatoes and the last 15 days or so, i am collecting my potatoes from my garden and i am tired with everything that has to do with potatoes. And then i read in mx forum about a potato conspiracy over linux users.
OH NO!!! no more potatoes... chrisuk how did you know it?
LOL
I've learned to predict with the help of the potato manufacturers ;)
xali wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:55 am ps
you guys in northern europe (belgium, holland, england, germany etc) you are eating a lot of potatoes, if i am not mistaken. Your food is potatoes with this, potatoes with that... in belgium in almost every corner they sell fried potatoes. How can you eat potatoes all the time? don't you get bored of this?
We do occasionally have Rice or Pasta, but yeah, Potatoes are eaten often... here's a quick list of what I have, or have had over the years, and what is pretty common in England:
  • Roast Potatoes: (Halved or quartered, peeled potatoes cooked in oil in a dish in the oven... basically big Fries)
  • Chips: (Fries, either thin French Fries, or larger cut Fries)
  • Mashed Potatoes: Peeled and boiled in water for about 20 minutes... drained, add butter, mashed up until smooth and creamy
  • Jacket Potatoes: Cleaned, not peeled, baked in the oven... usually split after being cooked and butter and cheese added to melt in the hot potato (I've not described that one well - I might come back and edit it later)
  • Crisps: What most call Potato Chips
Some of the regions have variations on the above, and I know that Ireland makes/eats Potato Bread (grated raw potato - mixed with a little flour - and fried like a pancake)
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

xali

#23 Post by xali »

potato bread? the potato situation is even worst than i thought...
anyway i find very interesting those russian potato piroshkis (or do they have an origin from poland? i don't know but they are very tasty). here is a recipe for example https://natashaskitchen.com/russian-pot ... arlic-dip/ , i think you should try it.
hhmmm i think i am hungry again...

tascoast

#24 Post by tascoast »

I have no doubt that potatoes arriving for processing into dry crisps vary considerably. The soil, nutrient regime, watering and freshness. While the big burger place uses only Russet Burbank for fries, crisping potatoes will be produced using a variety of breeds. Cooking colour is the other important goal of growing conditions with particular attention to sugars that darken a crisp, or disease and growth blemishes like rings in the flesh or extensive marking around the tuber attachment, something that always seems to catch my eye, being common.

Broadly speaking, yellow fleshed or coloured varieties are unsuited to frying but can be great for mashing or salads, the 'waxier' textured breeds remaining firm in the cold salad.

The crisping varieties may be tweaked in growing inputs (NPK/water etc,) to maximise the target tuber weight and size. Not to big or small, being unfit for the purpose. The spuds may be transported significant distances to accommodate seasonal production and a range of crisping varieties used to suit climate and soil, altitude and day-length. So weekly or monthly, it's conceivable you may purchase product somewhat different than last time.
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 19.2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-21/MX19/antiX19/Mint 19

Return to “General”