Helping get around ransomware lock out on Windows PC..

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
turtlebay777

Helping get around ransomware lock out on Windows PC..

#1 Post by turtlebay777 »

I was talking to a friend about installing Linux on ransomware locked out computer someone else had asked him for help with.
As there were no valuable files stored on said computer it was to be a straight install of Linux onto the hard drive. The problem was though, although the UEFI settings had been changed, the locked up system was Windows 10 and the internal system settings for fast boot ( or whatever they call it) could not be accessed because of the ransomware encryption.

Is there a way around this situation, for future reference?

BTW the locked up computer is not now available to work on as the customer went elsewhere for help.

Stevo
Developer

Re: Helping get around ransomware lock out on Windows PC..

#2 Post by Stevo »

If the UEFI settings password has indeed been changed, the only thing I can think of is to try and clear out the CMOS or whatever they call it now for that model. I've read that removing the CMOS battery or shorting some jumpers was the way to do it for some machines.

Return to “General”