Here is my newly found freedom :)

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
asqwerth
Developer

Re: Here is my newly found freedom :)

#21 Post by asqwerth »

Looks like a fancier model than the one my friend's father uses.

But you're right about freedom. His spine has gotten more and more bent over with age. But he's now scooting all over the place when in the past he would be walking very slowly and painfully with his walker, or sitting in a wheelchair. It makes a big difference.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#22 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Thanks all!

Yes.. the EDS thing is progressive, I have heard about (and from! I'm a member of a patient group) people going from normal working and all that to wheelchair bound in two years.

Just looking at me.. next month last year I got my diagnosis. Ok I was walking around with issues for MUCH longer than the past year or so.. but still.. it can go fast. I can still walk longer stretches with my Smartcrutches (I cannot walk with regular ones or with a walker due to the thumbsplints), but it becomes painful, and I DO want to ENJOY a walk, hence applying for this scooter. I have to say that the thing still got to me in record time. Also applied for close by and further away taxi service, to get a reduced traveling fee, got that too. Not complaining about that now!
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

tascoast

#23 Post by tascoast »

Is there a USB port?

I noticed the local shopping complex had a charge point, limit one hour, for such devices. I hope you find a couple of options like this.

Sorry you can't overclock it....)
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 19.2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-21/MX19/antiX19/Mint 19

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#24 Post by rokytnji.1 »

Later on. You will fall into the luv trap, and personal tweaks by you, to make your scooter Rose friendly, will be in it's future.
Everybody does this. It is the nature of the human beast.

Cup holder, Phone Holder, I predict, may be the 1st tweaks. Maybe a small usb speaker also for musical ambience while cruising. Then on to seat pads and such.

Wheelies are over rated. Now. Attach some home made spurs like I made for myself. Strap them suckers to your foot real tight , Drag your heels down the sidewalk like this.

I guarantee you will turn heads like I do when I go down main street in my one horse town. :happy:

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#25 Post by Eadwine Rose »

No USB port hahaha.

I did get the phone and tomtom holders, yes, those are good practical things. Also just got an up to 8 BAR handheld air pump thing. Always handy, instead of paying a Euro each time for air at a gas station! I only need 4.1 on the back wheels, the front is even less, so this should handle that just fine. Foot pumps aren't handy for me ;)

Music isn't much use for me as I am rather deaf, the only way that works is with headphones and I don't want to have music on when driving that thing since I need my aids to hear my surroundings. ;)
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#26 Post by rokytnji.1 »

Can of fix a flat duct taped under the seat out of sight may be a good thing?

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#27 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Not allowed to be used on these. Bear in mind it is essentially a loaner. You apply at the municipality for one when you need one, and then when they decide you get one (rules apply, you don't just "get" one), one gets assigned to you. Usually one from the depot (so already used), but with mine something went wonky and I have a therapist who knew about the rules who called and told them hey listen, you cannot let her wait till July. Hence I got a new one, it was the only way to get one to me this fast after all.

But since they ARE loan based you are not allowed to do much, not even a can of fix a flat, nope. We get a service number that we can call 24/7 all year though, and they will send out a service car to come help out.

tascoast

#28 Post by tascoast »

The waiting for mobility devices for months has a certain resonance locally, but I'm grateful we both have access to such resources. May this be universal one day soon.
I benefit from wearing hearing aids but the cost would be otherwise be significant (eg. I could easily buy a couple of used cars or a mobility scooter for the same money).
I did pay out of pocket for a bluetooth 'necklace' that connects to my phone, PC sound etc. and transmits to the ears, the necklace itself doubling as an antennae (induction or something short range). Mostly it works fine, a bit unreliable or breaking up on calls at times, although allowing me to press the button, on the small disc hanging below my neck, to answer an incoming call. I *could* stream music and initiate external noise blocking for the 'headphone' experience, but save that for home tv (thus blocking out the noisy heater fan).

While folk tinker with 3_D printed prosthetic parts and all kinds of micro computing devices, the future looks interesting.
I'd be investing in top-end scooter production with dedicated personal drone ports, quad-seg suspension and flat-run tyres for cashed up retirees, while promoting open-source DIY systems for those without, if I could. :happy:
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 19.2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-21/MX19/antiX19/Mint 19

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#29 Post by Eadwine Rose »

That first paragraph is my story ;) I too have hearing aids, and a neck loop for phone calls and such. In fact I am on the roster to getting new ones again. At least this year I have better insurance for them than last time, so that changes the amount I have to pay out of pocket for them. I too could have purchased a disability scooter with that money back when, whoa.

I didn't have to wait for months for the scooter, I already had a contact person since I also have a home helper and something else through those channels, my situation is known over there. Instead of going the official route I mailed her, skipped the entire request process (that is a few weeks to a month in itself) and got one assigned. I could have had a scooter on the 7th already, be it not for something going wrong with it on the 6th. That was likely one from the depot. The company they come from then told me July 3rd and that was WAYYYY too long according to my therapist.. the rest is history. Just a few more hours and she'll take me for some training lesson (or lessons, if need be tomorrow as well).

Mind.. I HAVE 3D printed splints, just found that out Thursday. The index finger ones are 3D printed silver :)

I would love a scooter with USB ports, enough juice to also be running a display with road assistance like many cars have these days, and standard internet. When you travel with a scooter you better have your phone with you in case something goes wrong!

Gordon Cooper

#30 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Be careful with extras that can drain your battery. A radio amateur colleague sadly now deceased, lived on a hill (like me). Jim calculated that he could fit a transceiver on to the scooter and talk to his friends while going down to the shops in the mornings, However, the load on the battery from talking too much meant that he did not have enough residual 'juice' to get back home again. So, shopping journeys were done in silence.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Return to “General”