Softmaker Freeoffice 2018

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
KBD

Softmaker Freeoffice 2018

#1 Post by KBD »

Softmaker's 2018 version of Freeoffice is now available:
http://www.freeoffice.com/en/

fehlix
Developer

Re: Softmaker Freeoffice 2018

#2 Post by fehlix »

KBD wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 4:01 pm Softmaker's 2018 version of Freeoffice is now available:
http://www.freeoffice.com/en/
Have you found a way to have it in dark theme. It looks ugly within my default Arc-Dark theme.
In former version 2016 I found far more options to adjust theming. At least good they kept the option to disable the rubbish-band. And good they have now full write/read docx-support included, but bad is they have disabled writing good old doc-format in ther free version. The registration-penalty requirement for the free version is a further big minus. I'm about to change my mind to further recommend this freeoffice-2018 version. :mad:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

KBD

#3 Post by KBD »

fehlix wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 4:36 pm Have you found a way to have it in dark theme. It looks ugly within my default Arc-Dark theme.
In former version 2016 I found far more options to adjust theming. At least good they kept the option to disable the rubbish-band. And good they have now full write/read docx-support included, but bad is they have disabled writing good old doc-format in ther free version. The registration-penalty requirement for the free version is a further big minus. I'm about to change my mind to further recommend this freeoffice-2018 version. :mad:
I'm using the classic dark theme on paid version of Softmaker 2018. You have several options when the program first starts for different themes, and they can be accessed from the tools. options menu as well:
https://imgur.com/a/bmyYpv6
I think they are the same in Freeoffice.

fehlix
Developer

#4 Post by fehlix »

KBD wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:33 pm ...
I'm using the classic dark theme on paid version of Softmaker 2018.
...I think they are the same in Freeoffice.
Nop, seems they have taken out classic dark theme in freeoffce2018. :eek:
freeoffice2018.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KBD

#5 Post by KBD »

Well crap! On the forum I thought a Dev posted it would be fully functional like the paid version. I guess they are nudging people to upgrade to get all the themes :(
If it is worth it to you, keep an eye on emails from Softmaker, they frequently offer deals for the paid version. Last year I got it for $9.99.

fehlix
Developer

#6 Post by fehlix »

KBD wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:31 pm Well crap! On the forum I thought a Dev posted it would be fully functional like the paid version. I guess they are nudging people to upgrade to get all the themes :(
If it is worth it to you, keep an eye on emails from Softmaker, they frequently offer deals for the paid version. Last year I got it for $9.99.
Thats not about me using it or not, it's about my recommendations! The reduced functionality and theming will make me stop recommending the free version, at least for Linux. :p

KBD

#7 Post by KBD »

fehlix wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:40 pm Thats not about me using it or not, it's about my recommendations! The reduced functionality and theming will make me stop recommending the free version, at least for Linux. :p
I think it is better that they include docx for Textmaker. Doc format is not as universal. Google Docs and Office Online both work with docx. I think it is actually better in that regard and I think Planmaker also uses the newer format as well. That is what I did not like about Freemaker 2016--old file formats. Softmaker does such a good job with MS Office file formats compared to LibreOffice that I would definitely recommend it. And it is a great deal if you can get the non-free office version on sale. The Devs constantly monitor the Forum and have answered several of my questions. We need something that can compete head-to-head with MS Office.
Softmaker Forum:
http://forum.softmaker.com/

fehlix
Developer

#8 Post by fehlix »

Good points. I do believe they loose more then they win by reducing freeversion so much. :puppy:

KBD

#9 Post by KBD »

fehlix wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:09 pm Good points. I do believe they loose more then they win by reducing freeversion so much. :puppy:
Obviously they are a 'for profit' company. I love LibreOffice and think it is beyond a shame that their open document format is not the default for everyone. But sadly, we live in a world where MS has a near-monopoly of Office Software. Too many people have felt handicapped because of that when moving to Linux. If Softmaker Office can fully answer that problem I am happy to see them make a few dollars and stay interested in the project :)

Return to “General”