Pasting passwords into browser

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Vincent17

Pasting passwords into browser

#1 Post by Vincent17 »

Hello,
I have been using a password manager (fpm2 from PuppyLinux) for years to paste username and password into web sites. Lately, it seems that this is being blocked. Keepass also does not work.

It is claimed that pasting passwords is a security risk (2012); that javascript can reveal pasted text remotely.

On the other hand, having to type the password discourages the use of long random passwords and potentially exposes them to keyloggers. (By the way, I exit the clipboard manager first so passwords don't show up in its history.)

There are workarounds, such as
https://www.ghacks.net/2014/07/26/paste ... -internet/
https://www.cyberciti.biz/linux-news/go ... n-website/.

I have tried "Don't f*** with paste" extension in Vivaldi, and it permits pasting password, but not username for some reason. However, I don't know if I can trust this extension.

I think I've googled this to death, so I'm asking for facts and opinions here, before I switch all my passwords to horse staple battery. (I don't believe that's a long password, but that's another topic!)

Thanks in advance.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

Re: Pasting passwords into browser

#2 Post by Eadwine Rose »

I use lastpass in both chrome and firefox. Both paste it and the username in nice and neat.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

richb
Administrator

#3 Post by richb »

I use Lastpass as well, and have used Keeper in the past. Passwords are saved in the cloud if that bothers you. Both paste in web pages with no problem. An Open Source solution is bitwarden.

For local storage and "pastability" KeePassXC is available in our Test repo. I have not tried it.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Fornhamfred

#4 Post by Fornhamfred »

KeypassX works for me and have had no trouble entering user names and passwords. Also can be used in Android.

Vincent17

#5 Post by Vincent17 »

Thanks for the suggestions. I had tried kee-something before and it behaved like fpm2; I saw so much discussion of this on web sites that I assumed it was a general problem. Richb guessed right, I'm cloud-phobic, so I did not try lastpass. Keepassxc works as promised, though, so it's getting a trial period. Boy, did I have fun converting fpm2's xml export file into csv format!

FWIW, observations so far: The option to clear clipboard after 10s does not clear clipit history. Paste operations work without clipit. No option to change browser? e.g. firefox --private

Return to “General”