what was the first linux distro you used

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
deadface

Re: what was the first linux distro you used

#51 Post by deadface »

Hi

I am new here and I had made a comment in the Hello thread. My first Linux distribution was purchased as 30+ floppies from Linux System Laboratories in Michigan. It was based on Yggdrasil and the kernel was 0.99 (I think). After that, I went to a few local Linux user groups and had install parties because 1) it would take so long 2) it was good to have an experienced installer 3) with many Linuxers we would have extra copies of the floppies to help with the inevitable bad floppy (or two).

In some ways, I miss those days. With MX, it is so easy to install!!

- Deadface
CZ170-M-O/i5-6600K/Quadro 4000

duane

#52 Post by duane »

My first Linux distro was Fedora Core 1. I had not been using computers very long at that time. I stayed with that thru Fedora Core 4 but was never fully satisfied with it. I was using Open Office but had problems with printing things correctly at first. Then one day I came upon the Point and Click Linux book by Roblimo. Warren's Mepis OS just worked better for me and I stuck with that until it ended.
I have tried other distros of and on but always come back to this forum. MX has matured a lot since that first version. I still use a few KDE apps but MX is my main distro although I occasionally use Antix and Debian. Keep up the good work guys and gals!
Lenovo M92p Quad Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz

martianRocks

#53 Post by martianRocks »

My first experience with a Linux distro was with a store bought RedHat release back in the ‘90s but it wouldn’t install. I still have it. Unused. I need to dig it out to find the version number but while I was messing with this OS2 was released and I was so happy with an OS that actually worked! But then IBM removed all their base talent for that project and it fell so fast I had to go back to M$. Suse had a powerful ad campaign going for awhile but none of their distros would work for me. XP Pro SP2 is the only stable OS M$ ever released and I have $5 to bet they will never do that again. Then Ubuntu wheezy appeared and I thought I was in heaven until I got into heavy usage and it wouldn’t hold up. Then I read about SimplyMepis 11 and that “it just works”. NOW I’m in heaven! Had to retire that PC last week and suffered a month of installs in a new Dell to find a replacement. MX 17.1 is the best. No joke. I’m not even looking forward to Ubuntu’s April release because MX 17.1 “works”! (there are some tweaks that need to be smoothed out) Luv you guys lots!!!
Last edited by martianRocks on Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mauser

#54 Post by Mauser »

My first Linux distro was Corel back in 2000, couldn't get the sound to work and couldn't get it to connect to the Internet, then I tried Mandrake couldn't get the sound to work and couldn't get it to connect to the Internet along with loosing video. Then I tried RedHat which I couldn't get the sound to work and couldn't get it to connect to the Internet. Gave up on Linux and when back to Windows 98se. :( Fast forward to Sept. 2015, after seeing Windows 10 I gave Linux an other try. I tried openSUSE 13.2 and everything worked. :) I left Windows for good. Tried an other Linux distro after openSUSE which I can't talk about without violating forum rules. Then came across MX-15 which turn out to be what I was looking for and have no interest in trying any other distros as I am sticking with MX Linux.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Vincent17

#55 Post by Vincent17 »

My first linux was "the great Puppy Linux" (words of Dolphin Oracle): 431, Wheezy, Saluki and, for the last 5 years, Fatdog. At one time I said I'd never use a distro whose iso was over 100M. But as sizes gradually crept up, the jump from Puppy to a medium-sized distro became less extreme--and I finally got a faster laptop. After several live flash drive and VM trials, I settled on MX-17. That clean desktop made a great first impression, followed by the searchable menu, terrific user manual, well-designed guis, the convenience and selection of synaptic, and the speed.

As a long-time Puppy user, I had some things to get used to, such as using a full install (can't reboot w/o save when I screw up), not being able to load and unload sfs files into a layered file system, and not being root all the time. In many cases, MX has binaries where Puppy has modifiable scripts, but everything can be customized after a little poking around (All Settings :happy: ). Almost everything works the first time !!

Thanks, developers.

Gordon Cooper

#56 Post by Gordon Cooper »

I still use Puppy, on a disk and use it sort out problems with Grub - and prefer Puppy's Grub screen, easier on old eyes than that from MX.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

frank392

#57 Post by frank392 »

Suse Linux 7.3

Artim

#58 Post by Artim »

My first Linux was Ubuntu, but updates kept messing it up. I had heard that Linux Mint was safer with updates, so I switched to it (Xfce desktop, easiest for kids IMO). It was safer, but only because they had an updater tool that lets users filter out dangerous stuff. Ubuntu had experimental Beta stuff included in their updates! Unforgivable in a distro aimed at newbies. So Mint was cool, but a resource hog! To lighten it up I switched to Linux Lite (modified with the Mint updater to keep it kinda safe), but I was still pretty scared of the Ubuntu base that makes a "safe updater" necessary to begin with! Plus LL had a whole bunch of PPAs added, which is equally scary.

When I heard about MX, based on Debian Stable (and it just doesn't get any more stable than Debian Stable), I was really happy to find something that didn't need to be "made safe" from stupid experimental updates, and was still kid-friendly (newbie friendly, user-friendly, whatever). So I've been using it Live for awhile and finally got brave enough to install it yesterday. I have customized it a bit, swapping the panel location and putting launchers that I like in.

The tools are GREAT! I don't think it's quite as "newbie-friendly" yet as Linux Lite was, but my gosh - what good is a super-easy kid-friendly tool set if a single update can cripple the whole thing?! Rawr!

For grins and giggles I play with other distros sometimes, but MX is the only one I have installed.

nomad

#59 Post by nomad »

Kanotix.
Without privacy, there is no freedom.

rich

#60 Post by rich »

Ubuntu, 2011 or so. I was interested in web development and was reading HTML for Dummies or something and they were talking about different IDE's and editors and mentioned vim and emacs. For some reason I wanted to try them on the original platform so I installed Ubuntu to try them out and I never really got anywhere with web devel but I have been using Linux full time since then so that worked out.

Return to “General”