Would MX-17 be easier on SSD than Windows?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
richb
Administrator

Re: Would MX-17 be easier on SSD than Windows?

#11 Post by richb »

My data backups are on two cloud services for redundancy , Dropbox and Google Drive. System backup is a snapshot.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#12 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Over here everything goes on a separate harddrive (usb) and in the cloud using Megasync.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

vksan

#13 Post by vksan »

entropyfoe wrote:My main systems have the switched internal drives
Does that mean you can turn them off and on when needed?

Thank you.

entropyfoe

#14 Post by entropyfoe »

vksan,

Yes they are internal drives, but switched.

I made wiring harnesses that turn the 5 and 12V (red and yellow) on or off with a key switch which I mounted on the front of the case. (Black ground wires are always connected, a configuration blessed by a WD engineer in an e-mail)
That way I have the stability and neatness of an internal drive, with the life increasing capability top keep them powered off most of the time.
I have several external drives, but I always worry that they can be easily taken or knocked off the desk. The internal switched drives are shock mounted on the rubber grommets with some air cooling them from the case fans. That seems more reliable than external USB or eSATA drives, with all the advantages of fast SATA transfers.

I call this invention RAWPOD, making a play on RAID.
RAWPOD is a Redundant Array With Powered Off Disks.
Asus PRIME X470-PRO
AMD Ryzen 3600X (12 threads @ 3.8 GHz)
32 Gig DDR4 3600 (Crucial CL 16)
Nvidia GeForce GT 710
Samsung 970 NVMe nvme0n1 P1-3=MX-23, P4=testing
Samsung 980 NVMe =1TB Data, plus 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#15 Post by chrispop99 »

entropyfoe wrote:vksan,

I made wiring harnesses that turn the 5 and 12V (red and yellow) on or off with a key switch which I mounted on the front of the case. (Black ground wires are always connected, a configuration blessed by a WD engineer in an e-mail)
That way I have the stability and neatness of an internal drive, with the life increasing capability top keep them powered off most of the time.
I have several external drives, but I always worry that they can be easily taken or knocked off the desk. The internal switched drives are shock mounted on the rubber grommets with some air cooling them from the case fans. That seems more reliable than external USB or eSATA drives, with all the advantages of fast SATA transfers.

I call this invention RAWPOD, making a play on RAID.
RAWPOD is a Redundant Array With Powered Off Disks.
Only risk I can see is if the PSU failed, putting out a high voltage on one of the lines whilst backup was in progress.

PSU specifications mandate against that, but a few years ago a major PSU vendor saved a few pence by omitting the relevant component. Many machines were subsequently damaged. I had one to repair where the MB, CPU, RAM, HDD, and CD drive were all fried.

At least with an external USB drive, the components in the USB to SATA interface should protect the drive from damage.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

entropyfoe

#16 Post by entropyfoe »

Chris,

Yes, that could happen...and it would take out the drive being backed up as well. That is why most of the time the RAWPOD drive is powered off, so resistant to power supply problems. But during a back-up, yes it could happen.

That's why I have in addition external back up drives, backups on separate networked machines, and off site back-ups.
Asus PRIME X470-PRO
AMD Ryzen 3600X (12 threads @ 3.8 GHz)
32 Gig DDR4 3600 (Crucial CL 16)
Nvidia GeForce GT 710
Samsung 970 NVMe nvme0n1 P1-3=MX-23, P4=testing
Samsung 980 NVMe =1TB Data, plus 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

vksan

#17 Post by vksan »

entropyfoe wrote:vksan,

Very cool. Thanks.

Return to “General”