Poll - Happy with KDE 4 or not?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.

Are you happy with M8.5 KDE 4?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:21 am

Undecided
55%
Undecided
24%
Undecided
21%

Total votes: 170

kmathern
Developer

Re: Poll - Happy with KDE 4 or not?

#91 Post by kmathern »

lucky9 wrote:....You should remember that the version of KDE that's in Lenny is actually finished and tested. Everything else is being tested and is therefore in varying degrees of being finished....
I don't think that argument really applies to squeeze and KDE4 any more.

Yeah squeeze is still technically Debian's "testing" distro, but squeeze is due to be released in the next week to 10 days and you aren't going to see any significant changes to KDE4 between now and squeeze's release. So I would say KDE4 is also "finished" and "tested" (for all practical purposes).

richb
Administrator

#92 Post by richb »

Personally I like the new System Settings paradigm in KDE4. I like the information I am working on segregated. I also prefer Lancelot to the classic menu. Just shows that you cannot please everyone.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Gaer Boy

#93 Post by Gaer Boy »

I'm a very ordinary user, and generally not interested in the bells and whistles of a desktop (I've only seen screenshots of the rotating cube, and haven't bothered to find out what 'compositing' means). I decided to have a look at Mepis 8.5 last May and found it OK. I still kept my 8.0 installation as my working setup, but gradually spent more time in 8.5.

A few things were different in the desktop, but I adjusted fairly quickly to those that weren't intuitive. I haven't had many issues with the change. I find Dolphin much better to work with than Konqueror, although I have one problem (to be raised shortly in a new thread).

I've just checked, and find that I last booted my 8.0 installation on 5 December - 'nuff said.

Phil

Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX, Ryzen 5 5600G, 16GB, 250GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 2x1TB HDD (MBR), MX-21-AHS
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 4MB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), MX-21

malspa

#94 Post by malspa »

richb wrote:you cannot please everyone
Ain't that the truth.

lucky9

#95 Post by lucky9 »

kmathern wrote:
lucky9 wrote:....You should remember that the version of KDE that's in Lenny is actually finished and tested. Everything else is being tested and is therefore in varying degrees of being finished....
I don't think that argument really applies to squeeze and KDE4 any more.

Yeah squeeze is still technically Debian's "testing" distro, but squeeze is due to be released in the next week to 10 days and you aren't going to see any significant changes to KDE4 between now and squeeze's release. So I would say KDE4 is also "finished" and "tested" (for all practical purposes).

Just looking at the differences between Mepis 8.5 and 11 I could make a good case for what I would consider finished.
It's still not there. And won't be until anything that can be done in KDE 3 is available in KDE 4. At least almost anything. I wouldn't make a feature to feature comparison but I can be frustrated with the lack of a Detail View in System Settings and still like KDE 4 as implemented in SimplyMEPIS 11 a lot more than 8.5 or any KDE 3 that's current.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Danum

#96 Post by Danum »

but I can be frustrated with the lack of a Detail View in System Settings
And won't be until anything that can be done in KDE 3 is available in KDE 4
It is called Tree View,
System Settings > Configure > Classic_Tree View,
What can you not do in KDE4 that you can in KDE3 ??

lucky9

#97 Post by lucky9 »

I feel pretty silly since I may not have even bothered looking for Tree View. I do like that interface better....I think. I wonder if I found it and didn't understand what it did? I'll have to make sure that I haven't missed (or miss-remembered) other things.
Considering I moved to Mepis 8.5 a very long time ago I have felt that there was very little I couldn't do with it. It's almost amazing that I missed or forgot or didn't like Tree View before now.

Thanks Danum!
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

malspa

#98 Post by malspa »

Well, this poll is closed... it was really about KDE4 in Mepis 8.5, which I skipped. But as for the title of the thread -- "Happy with KDE 4 or not?" -- I'm extremely happy with it! Don't miss KDE 3.5 one bit (even though I still have Mepis 8 installed here).

I've got a few different versions going here. The oldest is in Scientific Linux 6, using KDE 4.3.4. The newest is in PCLOS -- 4.6.3.

I like using other DEs and WMs as well, but KDE4 is easily my favorite.

zeeone

#99 Post by zeeone »

Danum wrote:What can you not do in KDE4 that you can in KDE3 ??
Sorry, I can not help myself. In KDE3 I can plug and play, any file format external HD, In KDE4 I can only do this if I reboot the system with the external HDs turned on before the reboot. :lipsrsealed:
Research, Research, Research, Before You Walk The Plank.
Registered Linux User # 398829

Gaer Boy

#100 Post by Gaer Boy »

zeeone wrote:
Danum wrote:What can you not do in KDE4 that you can in KDE3 ??
Sorry, I can not help myself. In KDE3 I can plug and play, any file format external HD, In KDE4 I can only do this if I reboot the system with the external HDs turned on before the reboot. :lipsrsealed:
I don't have that problem - I just checked. Plugged in my USB HD, 3 partitions (ext3, ext3, ntfs) all showing in Dolphin and they mount automatically. Removes just as easily.

Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX, Ryzen 5 5600G, 16GB, 250GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 2x1TB HDD (MBR), MX-21-AHS
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 4MB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), MX-21

Return to “General”