Poll - Happy with KDE 4 or not?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.

Are you happy with M8.5 KDE 4?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:21 am

Undecided
55%
Undecided
24%
Undecided
21%

Total votes: 170

malspa

Re: Poll - Happy with KDE 4 or not?

#111 Post by malspa »

TenderFoot wrote:Anyway, I stuck with 8 to avoid KDE4 (cashews, widgets et al) in 8.5 but am now looking at Mepis 11 which is the subject of a new thread not long ago...!
I stuck with Mepis 8 for a long time, too -- completely skipped 8.5, in fact. I was quite surprised when I found that I liked KDE4 after all.

TenderFoot

#112 Post by TenderFoot »

I'm OK with the effects and not needing to invoke Compiz. I just find the tray and widgets bit far too contrived and clunky. I find screenlets much nicer but unfortunately the shadows don't work properly with KDE4.

DBeckett

#113 Post by DBeckett »

I wouldn't exactly say I like KDE4 over KDE3, but rather that I've gotten used to it. I'm okay with it.
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, 8G, Radeon HD6570

Gaer Boy

#114 Post by Gaer Boy »

zeeone wrote:Okay if you say it works, then I will try it again, it has not happened since the start of testing M11 and I have reported it several times with no replies.
Have the M11 HD, fresh install from the ISO, up and running. Plug the EXT3 external HD in, turn it on, there is the hi I am here blink and nothing.
Hummm, hang on I will get the one MacBook Pro that I have M11 dual booted on. I have been working other issues on it and have not tried to mount a external HD to it.
M11 is up and running, plugging in the external HD, turning it on, there is hi I am here blink and buda bing there it is. Mount it, there it shows up in dolphin.
Oh, can not unmount it from dolphin no right click from the Apple trac pad, there can do it from the task bar. There it does work on the Apple, wonder why it will
not work on the main machine. Wait a minute, let me try this, there that did it. I just hot, hot plugged(powered up) the external drive and it came up. Strange,
the Apple came up using the on/off switch and the main machine did not. To get the external to come up, I would have to power up the external, then reboot.
Well it is working now in a funny way on the main machine. Maybe because the main machine's M11 is 64bit and the Apple is 32bit. .
Not quite clear what you did, but I always switch the USB drive on, then plug the USB in. I've found this works more reliably than the other way round.

Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX, Ryzen 5 5600G, 16GB, 250GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 2x1TB HDD (MBR), MX-21-AHS
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 4MB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), MX-21

Acesabe

#115 Post by Acesabe »

I started this poll to see how people were finding KDE 4.x (Mepis 8.5) in comparison with KDE 3.x as it was the first official KDE 4 Mepis release.

Now M11 is out with KDE 4.5 maybe a new poll to find out if people that weren't happy with KDE 4.x in Mepis 8.5 have come round to KDE 4.5 in Mepis 11 could run? Feel free anyone to go for it - I'm sure it will get plenty of discussion going, but I'm equally sure that less than 25% of people will be *unhappy* with KDE 4.5 in M11!

I for one certainly find it much improved in M11 and can't wait to upgrade to KDE 4.6 and beyond! (well I could go for it now but I'm not yet in the mood for breaking things!! )

::AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE 3.1GHz::Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H::Crucial 2gig DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-10600::Hitachi DeskStar 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache::
::O² Joggler::

eemaestro

#116 Post by eemaestro »

Haven't tried it yet. Still running KDE 3.something under MEPIS 8 lenny.

GoManutd

#117 Post by GoManutd »

vast improvement from m8.5 to m11. feels much more coherent, performance is great, looks awesome, etc. i personally got none of that from kde 4.x in m8.5

have to admit, though, i still do like kde3 too. not enough to go back, though, mind you. :)

brux

#118 Post by brux »

Oh yea...It's nice. I think Mepis 11 with kde 4 is pretty hard to beat.
Ron
Mepis 11 - 64 bit KDE 4.7.4 Nvidia GeForce 9800GT
Vista

mepnoob2005

#119 Post by mepnoob2005 »

Yup mepis 11 is hard to beat. As for kde 4 it's good once you get used to it. I like it. So very happy with kde 4 and mepis 11... :happy:

slopoke

#120 Post by slopoke »

No, I am not happy with KDE 4. Warren did an awsome job with it, but it's still a sow's ear. That is KDE's fault. If I'd wanted a Mac, I would have bought one.

Return to “General”